PDA

View Full Version : M50 starter motor. Easy to do???

GM525
07-10-2005, 09:01 AM
Hello to all fellow e34 nuts.
Just recently had probs with starter motor intermittantly working. Expertly diagnosed by myself, by means of the "get someone to hold the key over and then whack the motor" method!
Thing is, the starter looks high up on the engine and the intake manifold is in the way. I know complete failure is imminent so just wanted to ask if anyone has had the pleasure of tackling this job before I get my spanners out.
I've looked on the links, but the Haynes does not cover the M50TU engine.
If anyone has a link to a suitable manual for 525ixT on 1993 would be great! ;)
Keep up the good work!
ps Do you think BMW would benefit from relaunching the e34, modern styling with a retro look - a bit like what they done with the the new Jaguar? :)

Bellicose Right Winger
07-10-2005, 10:39 AM
I encourage you to disconnect the battery and check the battery connection on the starter solenoid. I personally know an individual who pulled the intake manifold only to find this connection loose. Yes, pulling the intake is recommended to remove starter.

Paul Shovestul

Hello to all fellow e34 nuts.
Just recently had probs with starter motor intermittantly working. Expertly diagnosed by myself, by means of the "get someone to hold the key over and then whack the motor" method!
Thing is, the starter looks high up on the engine and the intake manifold is in the way. I know complete failure is imminent so just wanted to ask if anyone has had the pleasure of tackling this job before I get my spanners out.
I've looked on the links, but the Haynes does not cover the M50TU engine.
If anyone has a link to a suitable manual for 525ixT on 1993 would be great! ;)
Keep up the good work!
ps Do you think BMW would benefit from relaunching the e34, modern styling with a retro look - a bit like what they done with the the new Jaguar? :)

winfred
07-10-2005, 11:05 AM
the starter is doable without pulling the intake on a e34 m50, on a e36 you need to pull the intake

Bellicose Right Winger
07-11-2005, 05:07 AM
From above or below?

Paul Shovestul

....the starter is doable without pulling the intake on a e34 m50.......ke

brodee
07-11-2005, 07:45 AM
On the e36's somewhere in '95 they changed the starter bolt that goes through the bellhousing and threaded the starter flange where before that it was a nut and a bolt. On the e36's the later ones are much easier to get off. Am I right in assuming the e34 is the same?

winfred
07-11-2005, 07:49 AM
YES

From above or below?

Paul Shovestul

George Davis
07-11-2005, 08:38 AM
I did my starter a few months ago (1994 525i). It was probably original, and had a bracket at the forward end that had to be removed to get it out. I tried like hell to get it out from below, but with that bracket in there it was impossible. The starter design was superceded and the newer ones don't use the bracket. At any rate, either way, I suggest removing the intake manifold, it makes the job easier to do and gives you the opportunity to replace the 4-ended coolant hose that hides under the manifold.

KenB
07-12-2007, 09:27 PM
the starter is doable without pulling the intake on a e34 m50, on a e36 you need to pull the intake

Any tips, tricks or special tools needed to do it this way??

whiskychaser
07-13-2007, 05:03 AM
I did my starter a few months ago (1994 525i). It was probably original, and had a bracket at the forward end that had to be removed to get it out. I tried like hell to get it out from below, but with that bracket in there it was impossible. The starter design was superceded and the newer ones don't use the bracket. At any rate, either way, I suggest removing the intake manifold, it makes the job easier to do and gives you the opportunity to replace the 4-ended coolant hose that hides under the manifold.

x2. I'd rather spend an extra 20 minutes than roll around on the floor. Either way watch out for the nut/bolt set up Brodee mentioned or you will be spinning that bolt all day. And of course you know they are torx bolts

Dave M
07-13-2007, 06:08 AM
x2. I'd rather spend an extra 20 minutes than roll around on the floor. Either way watch out for the nut/bolt set up Brodee mentioned or you will be spinning that bolt all day. And of course you know they are torx bolts

I wish I could pull an M50 intake in 20 minutes without breaking something ;)
I agree, unless you're as experienced as who is Winfred, its a less frustrating method to remove the intake.

Good luck with it, and have fun with the little fuel rail clippy thingers.

Dave M

whiskychaser
07-13-2007, 07:31 AM
I agree, unless you're as experienced as who is Winfred, its a less frustrating method to remove the intake.

Dave M

I just ease up the rail from front to back and leave the clips in place. Maybe thats why it only takes 20 mins:)

yaofeng
07-13-2007, 07:56 AM

Dave M

If you do it often enough, you could. The first time I bitched and moaned how difficult it is. The second and third time I did with the engine on the stand I was still not there. The fourth time I did in car because I need to change the wiring harness. I know exactly which bolts to remove to yank the intake out.

Maybe not 20, but 30.

winfred
07-13-2007, 08:03 AM
it's just one of those things you get good at, like e38 blower motors, they pay 7.5 but i've done then in a 1.5 and that's with pulling the dash, we are nice and only charge 6 :D

Dave M

KenB
07-18-2007, 12:31 PM
Thanks for the responses.

I opted to let my indy do it as I didn't have the time or patience to try. He did it w/o removing the intake and I was happy to pay him the $150 he charged for 2 hours labor.

BTW, new Bosch starters come with a 1 year replacement and 2 year roadside assistance plan (jump or tow).

+1 for manual transmissions, I never got stuck anywhere (like in Cape Cod while on vacation) when the starter decided not to crank.

bimmerd00d
07-18-2007, 01:24 PM
i've done this both ways. From below, you're going to need a decently long wrench

Ferret
07-18-2007, 01:26 PM
I love the statements of disbelief about intake manifold removal time :D

The last time I pulled the head off before the 525i went to the great scrapyard in the sky, I had the head off from a standing start in 1h15 :o

EDIT: It was the 5th time I'd done it in 18 months though...