PDA

View Full Version : Winfred, I'm changing an evaporator on a 850 today, I'm going to

Bill R.
07-09-2005, 12:52 PM
start sending all of them your way in the future or anywhere but here :(
Spent most of the day yesterday and its looking like it will be most of the day today too... 850 turbo volvo that is...

Jr ///M5
07-09-2005, 02:44 PM
Tell the owner to sell it to someone in the Northern Hemisphere...=) the FWD does great in the snow, and you only need A/C two months out of the year....then charge them $100 for consultation, they'll pay, don't worry, it's the incredible heat that has it's clutches on them.

Good to see your post Bill, thought you might have slipped out on us. You know you're always welcome to come to the picnic in August here, it's guaranteed to be at least 40 degrees cooler...besides, the '89 could use a good long, 3400 mile run...@ 2.57 a gallon, it's cheaper to fly and rent an E34.

Bill R.
07-09-2005, 04:51 PM
infrared temp gauge with a laser sight on it, accurate to within 1% supposedly, it reads up to 1000f and i was playing with it the other day and aimed it at the trunk of a black maxima that was out in the sun...191F on the flat part of the trunk in full sun...then i checked a bunch of other cars, my bronzit beige was over 20F cooler than the black and a white car was almost 40F cooler...I showed this to a couple of customers and we've all agreed to white cars from here on out...
Where would i rent an E34? : )

Tell the owner to sell it to someone in the Northern Hemisphere...=) the FWD does great in the snow, and you only need A/C two months out of the year....then charge them $100 for consultation, they'll pay, don't worry, it's the incredible heat that has it's clutches on them.

Good to see your post Bill, thought you might have slipped out on us. You know you're always welcome to come to the picnic in August here, it's guaranteed to be at least 40 degrees cooler...besides, the '89 could use a good long, 3400 mile run...@ 2.57 a gallon, it's cheaper to fly and rent an E34.

Jr ///M5
07-09-2005, 05:03 PM
Don't rightly know about the E34, but I'll let you use the 318iS...it is white you know.....=) we could "cannonball run" to Chicago.....=) Yvonne wouldn't mind spending time (& money) with Lori at the mall for a couple of days, would she??? We could take the ///M......=)

winfred
07-09-2005, 06:44 PM
book is around 7 hours, i can beat that when i feel like it, the thing to look out for on 850/70 dash job is the 4 mounting points on the back of the dash (what the 10mm bolts that come through the firewall atach to) break off and the whole dash is now supported by the center console (and squeaks and rattles like a bitch) one this happens theres a couple choices, new dash ($$$) or fiberglass the remains of the mounting tabs back on (pita but seems to work good) oh and did i mention that the bastard breaks when you remove the top of the dash while popping the airbag out of it's nest.... what have these *******s done to one of my favorite car brands

winfred
07-09-2005, 06:46 PM
whats even more fun is a aftermarket evap that don't fit once you get there, homey don't play that anymore

Bill R.
07-09-2005, 06:56 PM
bending and forcing to make it fit... I finally got it in and then had to bend both tubes to get the springlok connectors to fit...I'll keep the warning about the dash tabs in mind as i put it back. I went to a lot of extra trouble to be careful not to break any tabs when taking it apart since a number of other volvo mechanics had alerted me to them.

whats even more fun is a aftermarket evap that don't fit once you get there, homey don't play that anymore

Bill R.
07-09-2005, 06:58 PM
summer. Maybe a quick trip here and there to San Diego to see water occasionaly

Don't rightly know about the E34, but I'll let you use the 318iS...it is white you know.....=) we could "cannonball run" to Chicago.....=) Yvonne wouldn't mind spending time (& money) with Lori at the mall for a couple of days, would she??? We could take the ///M......=)

winfred
07-09-2005, 07:00 PM
the job would be a third less pain in the ass if it had normal fittings, spring locks SUCK

bending and forcing to make it fit... I finally got it in and then had to bend both tubes to get the springlok connectors to fit...

Bill R.
07-09-2005, 07:08 PM
evacuate and recharge... I'm going to have around 15 in it though since its my first and i'm being much more careful.. At 35 an hour he's still getting a deal and the evap was 128 from bma.

the job would be a third less pain in the ass if it had normal fittings, spring locks SUCK

winfred
07-09-2005, 07:14 PM
yea and the same job on a benz runs 20-45 hours depending on model and thats why i don't work on them unless i really like the owner

winfred
07-10-2005, 12:54 PM
ya done yet? http://members.cox.net/wdixon27/lol.gif

Bill R.
07-10-2005, 01:01 PM
in with no broken tabs, the dash cover is in without breaking the tab next to the passenger airbag. The goofy speedo cluster with the latches is in, glove box is in, turn signal and wiper stalk are back on, I just have to put the steering wheel back on and the stuff up under the hood...took lotsa photos for future reference. I should be able to do the next one much quicker, but i'll probably use a volvo evap next time instead of the aftermarket.

UOTE=winfred]ya done yet? http://members.cox.net/wdixon27/lol.gif[/QUOTE]

632 Regal
07-10-2005, 01:05 PM
aftermarket make it any more difficult?

winfred
07-10-2005, 01:11 PM
that's one of my hated jobs, the odo gear in the 850 has to be one of the cheeseyest in the industry and you gotta do all of that work to get the cluster out, and if you really want a shock price the gear pack from the dealer, from the price you'd think you were buying the whole cluster, theres a guy that replacates in plastic the offending gear for something like $70 (he also does the plastic bits that insulate the airbag carrage in the steering wheel keeping the horn from beeping that break)

The goofy speedo cluster with the latches is in,

Bill R.
07-10-2005, 01:19 PM
tubes is different . It uses springlok connectors so the tubes have to align perfectly to get them to snap together..

aftermarket make it any more difficult?