PDA

View Full Version : Need oil change recommendations

hubster999
07-08-2005, 07:38 PM
Hi guys, I'm about to tackle an oil change on my wife's 1994 525iT, and since it didn't come w/ an owner's manual, I'm looking to see what you guys would suggest to use, what brands and etc. And how many qts. does it take? And any little nuggets of info would be appreciated also-Thanks in advance! ;)
And I live in Ohio also.............. :)

hubster

Kalevera
07-08-2005, 07:42 PM
Oh boy...here we go again :D

Hubster -- we beat this topic into the ground every few weeks or months....whatever. Do a search and you'll learn more than you ever wanted to know -- trust me :)

Or, go read BITOG: http://www.bobistheoilguy.com.

best, whit

632 Regal
07-08-2005, 08:26 PM
mobil 1 0w-40

Russell
07-08-2005, 08:27 PM
Mobil 1 5w40 Truck and SUV

AND read BITOG: http://www.bobistheoilguy.com More than you ever want to know

hubster999
07-08-2005, 08:38 PM
Well, I didn't have a whole lot of time to search, and hoped this was quicker. The main thing is, I really wanted to know what NOT to use.......And BITOG.......what the hell?? People gab about oil all day long?!!?!!? Don't they have ANYTHING better to do with their day, like talk about bimmers!?!?! ;)

Mike

hubster999
07-08-2005, 08:40 PM
how many qts? And any certain filters? Thanks-

Mike

hubster999
07-08-2005, 08:41 PM
Synthetic or not? Just wondered...........

Mike

liquidtiger720
07-08-2005, 08:46 PM
how many qts? And any certain filters? Thanks-

Mike

Mann or Mahle filters...
I forgot how many quarts. I believe its 6 quarts for me 2.5

Kai@e34.de
07-08-2005, 09:01 PM
Oh boy...here we go again :D
hehe, same in the german e34 forum every few weeks :)

my M50 has Castrol TWS 10W-60 in it, but sometimes i drive with 155mph over 1 oder 2 hours, so it's not comparable.

mbogosia
07-08-2005, 09:28 PM
If you have never had synthetic put in it then don't start now. I don't care what anyone says you will burn more oil and develop leaks. It is not okay to have to add 1/2 quart every 1k miles just b/c it is synthetic. Stick with a regular oil like penzoil 10w30.

Jean@MtMiguel
07-10-2005, 02:11 AM
Hi guys, I'm about to tackle an oil change on my wife's 1994 525iT, and since it didn't come w/ an owner's manual, I'm looking to see what you guys would suggest to use, what brands and etc. And how many qts. does it take? And any little nuggets of info would be appreciated also-Thanks in advance! ;)

hubster
try Voll-Synthese 5w40, I had been using them for a long time, and no leaks,LEAKS depends on your engine itself if been neglected before. While you're at it, try JECTRON fuel injection cleaner with our oil change, I did feel the difference IMHO.

granit_silber
07-10-2005, 06:14 AM

hubster

My M50 (you have a M50TU) uses 6.1 quarts of oil. I use Valvoline Max Life 15w50 (dino). I looked hard at a lot of oils and spent time reading the BTOG forums.
I decided to use dino oil for three reasons

1) I didn't want to take a chance that my small oil leak would turn into a big oil leak with syn oil.

2) $2 a quart vs. $5+ a quart. For $12 (plus filter) I can afford to change my oil more frequently.

3) The Valvoline oils have a really good detergency action and my engine needs a cleaning.

As to the filter you can order them through BMA (bmaautoparts.com) or if you're a BMWCCA member you get a discount at the parts counter of your local stealer. I pay $10.59 for the filter kit (includes crush washers and o-rings) and that's just a few cents more than what it would cost to get through an online parts supplier once you factor in taxes, S/H, and all that.

BTW you'll need a 17mm rachet for the drain plug on the oil pan.
-ashley

granit_silber
07-10-2005, 06:16 AM
try Voll-Synthese 5w40, I had been using them for a long time, and no leaks,LEAKS depends on your engine itself if been neglected before. While you're at it, try JECTRON fuel injection cleaner with our oil change, I did feel the difference IMHO.

I've been wondering if that stuff works. So, you did notice a difference then? How do you use it (add it to the gas, oil, etc...)?

-ashley

jplacson
07-10-2005, 08:01 AM
Castrol Formula RS 10w50

632 Regal
07-10-2005, 09:31 AM
synthetic definetly

Jean@MtMiguel
07-10-2005, 10:16 AM
I've been wondering if that stuff works. So, you did notice a difference then? How do you use it (add it to the gas, oil, etc...)?

-ashley
Add Jectron to fuel tank, my experience I add Jectron with about less than half tank full and refuel at about less than quarter to maximize the strength. My local part outlet said that most of the indy repair places uses Voll synthese with their oil changes now due to customer request.