PDA

View Full Version : A kick in the nuts with the E36

bjl4776
07-08-2005, 06:03 PM
If anybody remembers I retimed the M50 in my e36 with the crank pulley lining up at TDC. Well i put it all back together and it makes a really really bad noise. So now im working at the dealer so Im allowed to work on my car there after hours with the guidance of the "professionals". I put the pin in the flywheel and then take the valvecover off. The cams arent lined up were they are suppost to be, wtf? It was at TDC when I did it. So i take the radiator out so I can look at the crank pulley, and what do you know, the crank pulley isnt on TDC but the engine is. I was so pissed, someone put it back together and didnt pay attention to that step. So i dont feel like a dumbass for timing it wrong, just a little pissed cause someone else was a dumbass. So the bad noise is probably valves and pistons greeting each other. I take the cams off and do a leakdown, and then the bad news. I have little leakdown on all cylinders but #3 were I have almost 100 percent leak. So I guess its off with the head to replace some valves. Hopefully the piston is only dinged up and not cracked and hopefully its only 2 valves and not 4. Well at least know that I know what is wrong i might get this thing roadworthy soon. Sorry for the ramble, but my family arent big on cars so they dont understand. Oh, and doing work on BMWs with the BMW special tools cuts the time down incredibly, try to make friends with a mechanic there and borrow them whenever you need them.

uscharalph
07-08-2005, 06:06 PM
It's great you have that kind of access.

Kalevera
07-08-2005, 06:33 PM
Who did the work? It's easy to mis-set them, which is why the crank has to be turned at least four complete revolutions by hand (two complete turns of the valvetrain), afterwhich the thing should be confirmed as being in time. If it isn't, fix it until it doesn't slip out.

How long was the motor run with the messed up timing? You're lucky it's an M50 -- ubiquitous.

best, whit

bjl4776
07-09-2005, 07:18 AM
I dont know who did the work, I bought this blind from a guy for cheap. I still dont regret it as I am still way below the cost it would take me to buy one for this mileage that is already in good shape. Hopefully ill be able to replace a few valves, and reset the timing and it will be running in no time,

632 Regal
07-09-2005, 12:33 PM
I like seeing confidance like that!

bjl4776
07-09-2005, 02:08 PM
Well I got the head off and completely dissasembled. I checked for runout on the valves with a dial indicater and all of the exhause valves were fine, but all of the intake valves are bent. I probably could get away with just replacing the valves on the one cylinder, but im not gonna be that cheap. So 12 new vintake valves and I should be good to go. It is so tempting while it is out to go ahead and get big valves, dual springs, titanium retainers, solid lifters, port and polish, 5 angle valve job... The list goes on, but the wallet does not, I have a spare non-vanos head maybe Ill do that slowly