PDA

View Full Version : 540 6sp should I do it?

Jeff C
07-08-2005, 01:39 PM
OK so I haven't been around in a while but when it comes to adice, this IS THE place to go.

Currently have a 91 535ia

Have found a 95 540i 6 sp with alusil engine approx 100 000 mile on engine and 150 K miles on chasis.

Owned and maintained by a Toyota Mechanic for the last year and a half.

should I do it... any thought pros or cons of the 540 over my 535iA

anything I should look out for specific to the 540

thanks

jeff

632 Regal
07-08-2005, 01:43 PM
I would say go for it unless fuel use is a problem, the particulars on this engine and the 530 is the intake gaskets/pcv plate. The 540 has the stronger transmission that requires the very expensive fluid, and the rear end is larger than the 530,535s.

G Feller
07-08-2005, 01:57 PM
Why, pray tell, is the Toyota mechanic selling such a fine car?

I sent out an e-mail similar to yours before buying my 6-speed about two years ago, and most of the warnings I was given by the members of the board have come true (which doesn't mean I don't love the hell out of the car, but it does mean it's expensive--from what I can tell, 540/530 owners come and go a lot more quickly on this board that 535 and 525 owners).

The best "pros" are the clutch and +/-300hp (with a chip). The 12-way recaro seats are pretty nice, too.

There is no room in the engine bay. If you are inclined to perform your own repairs, it will be much more difficult with a 540 than with a 535.

You will have to replace the valve cover gaskets occasionally. This car also tends to eat radiators (mine is on at least its fifth since it was new).

If they have not been done in the past 4 or 5 years, it is probably about time to replace the power steering hoses (lots of labor).

Has the clutch ever been replaced on the car? If not, it will likely go soon.

At that mileage on the chassis, it is about time for a new exhaust system and catalytic converters if those have not been replaced.

I will never regret buying mine. If you can manage the inevitable repairs, go for it (after inspecting the car and service records, of course).

Best of luck,
Greg

MBXB
07-08-2005, 02:15 PM
540 with a 6 speed??!!
Check the usual stuff...if it's in spec..do it.
As Jeff says, V8s are a tighter fit and a bit more effort to maintain than the 6ers, but nothing kicks in like that torque.
How much is he asking for it?

632 Regal
07-08-2005, 02:38 PM
oops, didnt see the 6 speed thing! Thats cooler...yes getting to the power steering is real hard. You dont have to work on these engines much, I have put almost 40k on mine and didnt change the valve cover gaskets yet...they arent leaking. I also havent replaced the cats or O2 sensors, all my engine codes were caused by leaky intake gaskets and that job wasnt very hard (except for the mystery bugle bouncing around). Waterpump is more challanging than the 6s too mut still dooable. The only thing i HAD to do was the intakes so far, anything else was maintenance IE: waterpump/hoses/plug boots/coilpacks/injectors/trans filter etc.

cmk
07-08-2005, 03:28 PM
What i've had to replace on mine over the last 6 years (currently has 180kkm):
- lower oil pan gasket
- head/valve cover gaskets (block is fine, no significant leak-down)
- both catalytic converters (luckily while under warranty)
- thermostat housing, water pump
- radiator (just once so far, last month)
- control arms (upper/lower)
- some cracked head/fog lights
- although i'm living in denial now i'm pretty sure i'm going to be replacing the front left edc strut soon

I can't think of another car i would want, so i put up with keeping her in shape.

Jeff C
07-08-2005, 03:31 PM
bout 10K

Jeff C
07-08-2005, 03:34 PM
if I found a good deal on a M540.... I might be more tempted. Only seen a purple ... oops Daytona Violet one at penisula motorsports recently and they want 30K Cdn.... how much did you get yours for?

regards

jeff

cmk
07-09-2005, 03:22 PM
I bought mine in '99 for around CAN$ 42k.

Mine is black/grey but i kinda like the purple - it grows on you. :)

At CAN$ 30k i would look at it, and get it, if it was all in good condition with the major cost items replaced (i.e. leakdown good or new block, new cats). Otherwise i would try and get it down closer to CAN$ 25k.

Good luck

Rory
07-09-2005, 05:14 PM
OK so I haven't been around in a while but when it comes to adice, this IS THE place to go.

Currently have a 91 535ia

Have found a 95 540i 6 sp with alusil engine approx 100 000 mile on engine and 150 K miles on chasis.

Owned and maintained by a Toyota Mechanic for the last year and a half.

thanks

jeff
Hey Jeff,

Take it for a spin and if you like it then go for it. It is a nice ride and you know the ins and outs of the E34. The downside is that the M60 can be expensive to maintain if you don't do the work yourself. With a family and busy practice it could be a lot of work or money at that age and mileage. You will not be disappointed in the car if you do buy it, plenty of power and fun.

For more info check out http://www.kindel.com/bmw/

Good luck with the decision.

Best,
Rory

Anton CH.
07-09-2005, 06:20 PM
The 540i6 has an aluminum engine block while your 535 has a cast iron block. The v8 probably weights a little lighter so it's a win win situation. Well other than that be prepared to be at the pump very often.