PDA

View Full Version : replaced charcoal canister 1995 525i

Russell
07-07-2005, 06:52 PM
Bit of a pain. had to remove lots of bits and the air filter box to get it out. Had to cut those BMW crimped clamps and I just repaced with screw clamps. I changed it because Bavarian Autosport noted that cars with 150,000 miles or are 10 years old should have it replaced as the charcoal may be saturated and effect drivability and/or fuel economy. Of course I got mine through BMA.

However, I did notice that when vacumn is applied to the large pipe on the old canister it pulled freely and bits of charcoal came out. The new canister had a strong resistance when vacumn was appied and no charcoal bits.

Have no idea what this means. Perhaps that I need to get a life?

Just an observation.

Kalevera
07-07-2005, 07:01 PM
I'm curious -- was either the drivability or fuel economy of your car faltering? Mine's starting to smell, so it probably needs to be replaced, but Fritz, despite cooling system ailments, keeps on going like always.

best, whit

Russell
07-07-2005, 07:21 PM
I thought it was a little sluggish at low speed. However, it is due for a change in plugs. also, I suspected the car was running a bit rich due to used oil analysis showing a bit of fuel dillution. However, I average 22-24 in mixed highway/town driving so economy is ok. Just taking care of minor issues to keep a 10 year old car in top shape. Also, I did not have any fuel smell even though that is one way to tell if the canister is bad.

I'm curious -- was either the drivability or fuel economy of your car faltering? Mine's starting to smell, so it probably needs to be replaced, but Fritz, despite cooling system ailments, keeps on going like always.

best, whit

uscharalph
07-08-2005, 01:03 AM
What kind of cooling ailments is Fritz dealing with still? I'm still getting mine sorted out.

rps1072
07-08-2005, 08:04 AM
Did you have to replace the valve for the cannister? This is my next job. My car is 11 years old and lives in the humid hellscape that is Houston, so my charcoal cannister could probably be replaced. I have been chasing a rough idle problem forever. It mostly goes away when I clamp off the line leading from the valve to the throttle body.

Russell
07-08-2005, 08:09 AM
That valve is about $60 list from the dealer. BMA should be a lot less. I may replace after additional testing. Think I will clamp the line off and see what happens. BTW, your valve may be stuck open.

Did you have to replace the valve for the cannister? This is my next job. My car is 11 years old and lives in the humid hellscape that is Houston, so my charcoal cannister could probably be replaced. I have been chasing a rough idle problem forever. It mostly goes away when I clamp off the line leading from the valve to the throttle body.

rps1072
07-08-2005, 08:13 AM
I was going to try to take it off and clean it out first. If I can avoid the $60 it would be nice.

Hypr5
07-08-2005, 09:47 AM
I was going to try to take it off and clean it out first. If I can avoid the $60 it would be nice.
What is the charcoal canister and where is it located? What's it do?

rps1072
07-08-2005, 11:52 AM
It is a vessel filled with activated charcoal that is part of the EVAP emmissions system. One end is connected to the fuel tank. Vapors from the tank are vented through it, rather than to the atmosphere. The other end (via a valve) connects to the throttle body and I think does the same thing that way. It is located behind the left headlight.

Russell
07-08-2005, 01:18 PM
May try the same this weekend.

Jon K
07-08-2005, 05:00 PM
May try the same this weekend.

Can I just bypass my charcoal canister? It's in the way of my intercooler pipe

632 Regal
07-08-2005, 05:04 PM
you could try Jon, I wouldnt tho.

I like the shot of your car through the chicken pen!

Kalevera
07-08-2005, 05:48 PM
Ralph -- Fritz has had a messed up radiator for some time.

The cure: tomorrow, I'm going to pick up a trans cooler from Summit Racing, pull the (like new) radiator out of a 740 parts car at the shop, put it all together and hope I don't have any more leaks ;)

I may also replace the expansion tank and water pump while I'm in there. Freakin' BMA sent me a Geba a few months ago, though -- not a good pump. I guess I'll install it anyway and see what happens.

best, whit

uscharalph
07-08-2005, 06:04 PM
Hopefully I'll be installing my new radiator next weekend.