PDA

View Full Version : AC Leak Repair

Steve N
07-07-2005, 10:04 AM
My slow leak (2 month charge) has turned into a 2 week leak. It's time to fix it. I used a UV light to track the leak to where the low pressure hose attaches to the compressor. What to do next? Just remove and install a new O ring? Anyone have a part #?

Thanks,

Steve

motuman
07-07-2005, 03:42 PM
I just repaired a leak at that same o-ring. You can find the part number for your particular car at: http://www.realoem.com/bmw/select.do

While you have the system apart it is recommend to chance the receiver/dryer (which you can get cheap on e-bay for about $30). Might as well change the o-rings on the dryer while your at it. Next questions is refill with r-12, r-134a, or freeze 12? That could turn into a long debate and has been discussed here before.

Good luck.

Scott C
07-07-2005, 03:57 PM
I just repaired a leak at that same o-ring. You can find the part number for your particular car at: http://www.realoem.com/bmw/select.do

While you have the system apart it is recommend to chance the receiver/dryer (which you can get cheap on e-bay for about $30). Might as well change the o-rings on the dryer while your at it. Next questions is refill with r-12, r-134a, or freeze 12? That could turn into a long debate and has been discussed here before.

Good luck.

Just be forewarned about the $30 dryer... I bought a unit from ebay - you can have it if you like... Damn thing doesn't have the right fittings for the pressure switch.

Scott

motuman
07-07-2005, 07:57 PM
Just be forewarned about the $30 dryer... I bought a unit from ebay - you can have it if you like... Damn thing doesn't have the right fittings for the pressure switch.

Scott

Good point about the dryer. I was able to confirm that the part number offered was correct prior to purchase (not always able to do so), and I received a German-made unit that fit and worked well.

upallnight
07-07-2005, 10:25 PM
How do you know it's not the high side pressure hose. Both hoses are in the same location and attaches to the compressor next to one another?

If it was me, I will change both o-rings since you will have to remove the remaining refrigerant and later evacuate the system