PDA

View Full Version : '94-'95 mirror covers?

brodee
07-07-2005, 08:42 AM
I just got a set of '95 mirrors for my car and want to get the covers painted. Do they just pop off with a little prying or is there a fastener hidden in there somewhere?

I don't want to pull on them if I'm not supposed to.

jjw
07-07-2005, 01:18 PM
I have tried to pop those off but failed. End up just mask off all the black parts.

western99
07-07-2005, 01:41 PM
you have to remove the speakers (tweeter) on the door at the front. Once you remove it you can get access to the bolt that holds the mirror in place. Once you remove that, you should be able to remove the cover. I have never done this myself, but this is what I have been told.

brodee
07-07-2005, 01:53 PM
you have to remove the speakers (tweeter) on the door at the front. Once you remove it you can get access to the bolt that holds the mirror in place. Once you remove that, you should be able to remove the cover. I have never done this myself, but this is what I have been told.

No, the mirrors are already off the car. I'm talking about the part of the mirror that is painted body color.

western99
07-07-2005, 01:56 PM
to tell you all the details. You should be able to remove it since I got my driver's side mirror repaired (crack fixed and painted). Sorry that I could not be of more help.

shapetoshoot
07-07-2005, 02:49 PM
Tried and gave up. I only wanted to do it so I could service the motors whilst the mirrors were off. But decided I was more likely to break something and regret it.

One them jobs!

Ian

Phil Sanderson
07-07-2005, 03:41 PM
Do they just pop off with a little prying or is there a fastener hidden in there somewhere? I don't want to pull on them if I'm not supposed to.
...but you have to do it from inside behind the mirror glass. Prying it from the outside casing will break it. For painting it's easy to mask up the black plastic - this is how mine were done.

brodee
07-07-2005, 03:51 PM
...but you have to do it from inside behind the mirror glass. Prying it from the outside casing will break it. For painting it's easy to mask up the black plastic - this is how mine were done.

I just wanted to pop them off because I want to repaint the black with some SEM trim paint and then do the caps to match the car.

uscharalph
07-07-2005, 04:18 PM
I think he's trying to paint the outer black.

brodee
07-07-2005, 06:05 PM
I think he's trying to paint the outer black.

Trying to do both while they are off the car. I can spray all the black and then sand and prep the caps. tape them off and paint them last.

Stewart E
07-07-2005, 06:12 PM
http://home.comcast.net/~asilver33/mirror.htm

brodee
07-07-2005, 06:25 PM

Nope, wrong mirrors. I bought the normal e34 mirrors from a '93-'95. I'm just replacing my early style with them.

Stewart E
07-07-2005, 06:25 PM
If you stick a small flat head screwdriver through the hole and try and hold it as close to the back of the glass as possible you will touch a plastic ring that has teeth on it. Pivot the screwdriver away from the car and it will rotate the ring disengaging the mirror. Then just push one corner and it will fall out.

The early e-34s had a small hole in the bottom of the outside mirror. You somehow used a small screwdriver to push a clip to release the mirror.

Around 92-93 a new mirror style is used that the glass just pulls out.It is held by 4 plastic clips. It's press fit in with plastic snap fasteners. Just tilt the mirror so you can get your fingers under one edge, and gently pull; it'll pop out... be sure to disconnect the heating wire before you pull the glass too far from the car. Then hook up the wire to the new glass, line up the tabs on the back side of the glass with the tabs in the mirror housing, and apply pressure evenly on the glass to pop the new glass in.

Note that all, i think, e34s had heated mirror glass

brodee
07-07-2005, 06:30 PM
I don't need to get the mirrors off the car, I need to get the painted caps off the mirrors. Part #10 in this diagram.

http://www.realoem.com/bmw/diagrams/g/254.png

genphreak
07-07-2005, 09:11 PM
I love those 93-95 mirrors. New black oems of them cost $90 each...

brodee
07-07-2005, 09:38 PM
I love those 93-95 mirrors. New black oems of them cost $90 each...

Talk to Bret (rigmaster) I got mine from him, he got me a great price on them.

Steven G
07-07-2005, 10:58 PM
Hi,
I just did that a year ago on my wife's E36. The mirrors are almost the same. To get the cover off, you don't have to take the mirror off the car, but you have to remove the mirror insert (glass). Bentley Manual shows how to do this really well. You will use a small long screwdriver to pop the mirror off. You will need to be very careful doing this - just take your time. That will give you access to 4 (?i think there were 4) small phillips screws which hold the plate with the electric motor. Then you can pop the cover off the mirror housing. You won't be able to pull the covers off any other way - if you try, you will break the plastic taps off the covers. As soon as the mirror (glass) portion is off it is a very straight forward procedure.

brodee
07-08-2005, 05:43 AM
Hi,
I just did that a year ago on my wife's E36. The mirrors are almost the same. To get the cover off, you don't have to take the mirror off the car, but you have to remove the mirror insert (glass). Bentley Manual shows how to do this really well. You will use a small long screwdriver to pop the mirror off. You will need to be very careful doing this - just take your time. That will give you access to 4 (?i think there were 4) small phillips screws which hold the plate with the electric motor. Then you can pop the cover off the mirror housing. You won't be able to pull the covers off any other way - if you try, you will break the plastic taps off the covers. As soon as the mirror (glass) portion is off it is a very straight forward procedure.

Thanks Steven, that's exactly what I needed!

Alan_525i
07-09-2005, 10:06 AM

YES! Someone finally linked to something on my website. WOO HOO. So this is what it feels like to be bruno...jk

OK, I'm done now...

uscharalph
07-09-2005, 10:19 AM
So now you need to update the pictures in your gallery. They were all taken before you installed those side mirrors.