PDA

View Full Version : HID wiring question

jarome
07-07-2005, 08:12 AM
I was about to order this set last night, but I started to read how to install them. http://www.hidplace.com/directions.html

It's not difficult at all except the the harness that attaches to the battery. Our batteries is underneath the rear seats and was wondering if I had to either extend the wiring in the harness and take apart the interior so the wiring will lead to the engine bay without showing OR is there an easier way? Thanks!!!

Rory
07-07-2005, 11:41 AM
I was about to order this set last night, but I started to read how to install them. http://www.hidplace.com/directions.html

It's not difficult at all except the the harness that attaches to the battery. Our batteries is underneath the rear seats and was wondering if I had to either extend the wiring in the harness and take apart the interior so the wiring will lead to the engine bay without showing OR is there an easier way? Thanks!!!
I will admit...didn't look at the link but I assume it is typical for HID's. The kits include a relay that will bypass the stock plug and run the HID's directly from the battery. This is the ideal way to do it, but you will probably get an OBC error message unless you address that by tricking the computer.

If you use the harness then you can tap into the + lead in the engine compartment. IIRC, you just pry the plastic cover on the side off, loosen the bolt that attaches the lead from the battery, pop the harness lead in there and tighten the bolt. Then you have to run the wire to the headlight, but it is pretty easy. I had a harness running my HID's for a while but removed it and have been running it off the stock plugs for a couple years. Of course, YMMV.

Good Luck,
Rory

jarome
07-07-2005, 01:02 PM
thanks for your input...i'll look into that

Jon K
07-07-2005, 05:48 PM
thanks for your input...i'll look into that

I have HIDs in my low beams and in my fog lights, I just used the factory bulb connector to power the ballast and switched from 7.5A in the fusebox to a 15A

Kai@e34.de
07-07-2005, 05:55 PM
why don't you take the original wiring from your low beam lights? just replace the 7.5A fuse with a 15A. there is no problem with overheating, the HID bulbs take 35 watts, your recent H1 bulbs 55 watts each.

http://www.e34.de/pics/kai/karre/xenon-k.jpg

Qube
07-07-2005, 06:49 PM
Used the stock wiring harness on mine and no problems... well.. the original ballast was defective but that's it :)

Jon K
07-07-2005, 06:54 PM
why don't you take the original wiring from your low beam lights? just replace the 7.5A fuse with a 15A. there is no problem with overheating, the HID bulbs take 35 watts, your recent H1 bulbs 55 watts each.

http://www.e34.de/pics/kai/karre/xenon-k.jpg

Its not the watts, its the volts... HIDs do require something like 1,200 volts or some craziness to ignite

Kai@e34.de
07-07-2005, 07:48 PM
sure, but the high voltage comes out only after this ballast box has converted it from the usual 12 volts system. usually, you'll get a "head light"-error from the Check Control, but there's no problem with the original wiring, i've installed it in my E34 ~5 yrs ago.

you've to replace the 7.5A fuses only because the ballast box needs a high engage current which would kill the original fuses. that's it.

TC535i
07-07-2005, 07:54 PM
If you need HIDs, let me know what setup you want and I can probably get it cheaper for you...

jarome
07-07-2005, 08:54 PM
Thanks everyone for your suggestions!

The setup? 5300k for low beams. Thought about 6000k, but I want something a little brighter than that.

BTW which fuse would I need to replace?

Jon K
07-07-2005, 09:39 PM

The setup? 5300k for low beams. Thought about 6000k, but I want something a little brighter than that.

I have 6000k in low beams and 4300k in fogs, both are euro projectors.... i like the 6000k best.

Qube
07-07-2005, 09:52 PM

Higher kelvin doesn't mean brighter. I assume brighter means more illumination and not just 'whiter'.

6000k is a good point. 5300k is closer to 'stock' HID. Kits are relatively inexpensive now... and quality is good to match. I got my 7500k for what was it... $285 CDN I believe. Just got another kit 6000k for a piddling $230 CAD. These are 'shipped' prices... Kaixen kits. Older ones were so-so, these newer kits are great.

Do keep in mind that they do color shift into a slightly higher kelvin rating as they age...

Kai@e34.de
07-07-2005, 11:29 PM
fuse #10 and #11, 15A (perhaps 10A, try it out) instead of 7.5A

jarome
07-08-2005, 07:18 AM
fuse #10 and #11, 15A (perhaps 10A, try it out) instead of 7.5A

The kit comes with 20A fuse. Would this be good enough?
If not then can I buy a 15A fuse from an auto store?
Thanks

Kai@e34.de
07-08-2005, 04:11 PM
sure, simply try it out. the only thing which can happen is that you'll kill the fuse if it's not adequate dimensioned.

Jon K
07-08-2005, 04:44 PM
sure, simply try it out. the only thing which can happen is that you'll kill the fuse if it's not adequate dimensioned.

well being that its 20A and thats 5A greater than 15A, the worst he could do is set his harness on fire should it short out or some ridiculous thing. Seriously, don't go over 15A on the headlight harness.