PDA

View Full Version : bmw crimp-on clamps ??

Russell
07-07-2005, 04:32 AM
How do you remove and replace those stange little crimp-on clamps that BMW often uses on fuel hoses? I am going to replace my vapor canister and one of the hoses has a clamp that looks as if it is climped-on. I assume I can replace it with a typical screw-on clamp. However, how do I get the old clamp off?

BTW, I am also going to replace my fuel filter. It has been replaced by my indy in the past. I suspect they have replaced the clamps.

I know this is a basic question-bet it is Bentley-somewhere. Of course not all things are :)

TIA

genphreak
07-07-2005, 06:36 AM
Yes... one replaces them Russell, make sure you use the right sized + best quality clamp you can get on a fuel line. Stainless steel as a minimum spec... I just use a small screwdriver to open up the gap- but one must be careful not to affect/damage the hose.... and of course let the pressurised fuel bleed from the system safely given that it is very dangerous stuff to work with... ie all the usual disclaimers about my advice being worthless anyway :) GP

winfred
07-07-2005, 07:28 AM
you can cut them off with a good pair of diagonal cutters (dykes) or open it up with a pick

ryan roopnarine
07-07-2005, 07:29 AM
i use two pairs of needlenose pliers, one to hold the side of the \___/ opening, one to pry the top up (so i don't unnecessarily stress the works). if you're in the dealership, there are special fuel line hose clamps that don't leave any uneven spots on the hose. you can use these or regular hose clamps if you like.

JonE
07-07-2005, 08:18 AM
I do think the dealer BMW clamps are a bit better quality, they also seem somewhat narrower in the band, thus, easier to use in some applications. The real ones do have the BMW logo on them and are sized in metrics. I've also been to the dealer and gotten non-BMW clamps, you have to watch them!

Russell
07-07-2005, 09:10 AM
special tool needed for bmw clamps?

JonE
07-07-2005, 12:06 PM
nope, just screwdriver and/or a small socket, if I remember correctly.

winfred
07-07-2005, 07:17 PM
bmw screw type hose clamps suck ass, the wimpy little turds take nothing to strip out, i hold almost the same contempt for bmw clamps as the cut the hose wire type clamps and those spring loaded shoot your eye out rip a hole in your finger bastards

I do think the dealer BMW clamps are a bit better quality,

winfred
07-07-2005, 07:19 PM
the crimp on type can be done with a good pair of diagonal cutters, just don't squeeze so hard you cut the clamp

special tool needed for bmw clamps?

mattyb
07-07-2005, 07:28 PM
yeh ,damn right