PDA

View Full Version : Identifying an imported e34

IN10CT
07-06-2005, 10:34 PM
I 'am wondering if there is an easy way to identify an imported e34. I'm in Canada, we're talking left-hand drive. My e34 is from out of province, and that is about all the detail you get from dealers here... I am looking to add a hitch so I can take a Boler trailer (800lbs) on the occasional camping trip. Problem is, there seems to be differing oppinions about what will and won't fit depending on whether your e34 is European vs North American. Seems silly since I can't imagine BMW changing anything but the bumper... Even the location for the license plate is designed for either the wide Euro plates or narrow NA plates.

Any help would be appreciated.

uscharalph
07-06-2005, 11:16 PM
Do a search on "VIN decoder." I think Shogun posted it. It gives you information based on your VIN.

Kai@e34.de
07-07-2005, 04:02 PM
hi,
the european E34 have:

1. other headlights after ~ September 1988 (a curved stripe under the lense, see pic at the bottom)
2. one or two rear fog lights
3. no side marker lights in the bumpers
4. no parking light in the front indicators, it's on the top of the low beam front lights
5. no mls/h scale on the tachometer (but in GB they have)

alos, there were some models which were not delivered in the USA/Canada, e.g. 518g, 518i, 520i M20, 520i M50, 524td, 525td, 525tds, 530i M30... same with the 525ix (4WD) i guess. but should not matter on your question :)

the bumpers as itselves in the US/ECE version are the same.
take a look at www.e34.de/vin to decode your vin, but it's in german language.

greets from Germany,
Kai

http://www.e34.de/pics/kai/karre/DSCN0898.JPG

Kalevera
07-07-2005, 06:14 PM
FWIR, cars going into the US have the name of the person who imported it stamped onto a plate on the driver's side B pillar (where a normal manufacturer plate would go). They'd also have a VIN plate in the typical US spot on the dash. The name of the importer may only be for 80's cars in the US, though: we had an M535i come in for a little clutch work yesterday and I noticed the plate. Don't know if it's the same for Canada, but eh -- you know.

best, whit

emw525E34
07-07-2005, 09:11 PM
Hi Kai,

You might be able to help me with a plagueing problem with my German ECE model E34 Touring 95 model (manufacturered 10/94). Its a 525i manual. It does NOT have fog lamps as standard. But does have a "Fog" switch when activated , the two rear fog lamp cluster lights up.

However, I wanted to retro-fit hella small round H1 fog (like in the 7series) but I could NOT find the front fog wiring. Several germans I spoke to claimed that it is there, but none could find it. Also, Check Control cluster says "F/FOG lights" when I turn ignition on, everytime.
I see from ETK that there is a 5-pin round connector that would connect to a pair of connectors towards the front fog lamp areas. My problem is I CANNOT locate this round 5-pin connector ?. Can you help me identify where it actually is, so I can run my wires to make my fogs work ?.
Many thanks.

Kai@e34.de
07-07-2005, 09:29 PM
hi,
if you have an outside temperature display or OBC next to your radio, you also have the complete front bumper wiring installed - including the connectors for the front fog lights. these connectors are grey, angled and mostly hidden. the right one is close to the wiper washer tank, the left one close to the cruise control motor (or close to the power steering fluid tank).

Kalevera
07-07-2005, 09:54 PM
hi,
if you have an outside temperature display or OBC next to your radio, you also have the complete front bumper wiring installed - including the connectors for the front fog lights. these connectors are grey, angled and mostly hidden. the right one is close to the wiper washer tank, the right one close to the cruise control motor (or close to the power steering fluid tank).
True...

Starting with the E30, BMW (usually) integrated complete wiring harnesses with connectors for all available MY options. There are some notable exceptions (euro baby powered E34s with clocks and analog gauges that don't have the OBC harness or a 3 plug dash module).

The harness connector is often tucked away/pulled back in the harness, or even hidden under the OEM wrap. I've been through a number of situations where the harness diagram indicated the presence of a connector yet it still eluded me in the car. My best advice is to keep tracing back. The harness is installed after the sheet metal is all together, so at some point, somebody or something manipulated it into an (plausibly) accessable place.

best, whit

Shayne
07-07-2005, 11:23 PM
If the car has been imported into Canada there will be an inspection sticker on the windshield (sometimes gone with age however) and the importation sticker in the driver's door sill... usually near the lower front.
ODO will be in miles if it is a US car unless the coding plug was changed in which case checking the serial using the check display you can compare VIN's. Dials on HVAC controls will be in F instead of C on US import as well. Same for markings on OBC... they will show miles instead of SI units.
Cloth seats, no sunroof, rear fog lamp are indications of an offshore import.
CDN cars usually have the cold weather package so heated seats, a block heater, and headlamp washers are standard. Also the serial sticker in the driver's door sill will have a mapleleaf superimposed into it.
Not sure what province you are in but ICBC will do a search for you for $15.
DRL's will be jumped on any import instead of integral. You should have the DRL module if the car is CDN. Unsure? Pull the headlamp switch and if there is a jumper you have an import.
That's all I can think of for now...