PDA

View Full Version : Head Gasket situation

Andrew
07-06-2005, 08:34 PM
I still have not had much time to play with my car, but I cleaned off the engine block with a rag as best as I could and started the car up. This time there definetely was no coolant leaking in the engine compartment but the oil smell and light smoking still lingers. I was able to squeeze my fingers behind the head and feel the two cam seal covers... both were bone dry. I do not see any obvious leaks when I jack the car up... maybe the smell is just residual stuff burning on the manifold.

I bled the cooling system as suggested by most of you such that the car will stay at normal operating temp. Unfortunately, I now see a good amount of steam coming from the exhaust and my check engine light is on... I'm assuming a dead oxygen sensor.

I picked up a new Craftsman torque wrench today and I will hopefully be able to check the head bolts tomorrow evening. I still need to add at least 35 degrees to them...

The car felt great driving around the block so maybe a little more torque is all that is needed!

I'll let you know if I discover anything new.

Andrew

632 Regal
07-06-2005, 08:41 PM
steam in exhaust is not good

Andrew
07-06-2005, 09:10 PM
steam in exhaust is not good

Hi Jeff

Yea, it isnt good. The only reason I have a little bit of hope is because a few people in the archives mentioned steam before completing the torque stages.

Luckily I do not have coolant in the oil. The hoses are not rock hard after shut-down like they used to be either. I would hate to think that the gasket is bad already but I will know for sure tomorrow!

Andrew