PDA

View Full Version : Loose steering column nut causes shimmy or just enhances it?

NielsGalan
07-05-2005, 10:22 AM
Loose steering column nut causes shimmy or just enhances it?

Found out my steering column nut was loose as h*ll and now there is almost no steering play. So far so good. Can steering play cause the shimmy?

I've been working on the shimmy for some time now. Changed (in this order) thrust arms, the steering rods, had the wheels balanced, wheel alignment, tightened steering column nut. The shimmy used to be just crazy before thrust arm fix, but is is always kinda there, you know? Brake pads (front) are only a year old or so.

Shimmy is "only" when braking at speeds over 110 km/h (+60mph?).

My main suspect now (not many left ...) is the wheels. I just would like to rule out steering play having anything to do with this.

Thanks in advance.
Niels

632 Regal
07-05-2005, 10:48 AM
any steering slop can cause the dreaded shimmy, you have it pretty isolated now tho

JonE
07-05-2005, 10:50 AM
Ummm, maybe the rotors, if not replaced when brake pads replaced. Most here would insist on new rotors with the pad replacement. They could be slightly warped.

NielsGalan
07-06-2005, 01:35 AM
Well, I guess I forgot to mention that the rotors too, of course, are "new". 1 year old.

I will give the steering column nut a few more twists. The Shimmy From Hell is much better now after tightening it, but I think it can take a little more.