PDA

View Full Version : E34 535: Emissions, Smell, Computer, etc., problems

///Mpressive
07-04-2005, 09:48 PM
Hey guys,

I have a few little issues that I need some help with.

1989 535iA, 5 Spd., 10/88 prod. date

1) The car smells like an ashtray. The previous owner smoked cigars every so often and that smell lingers heavily. I shampooed the carpet and replaced the floor mats so far. What else should i do?

2) Almost every time I turn the car off, it resets the service lights(from fully serviced to the needs service lights) and the tripometer. WTF? And sometimes the odometer and OBC light(in the cluster, not the actual OBC) goes out all the way as well. The latter is not as often.

3) I failed emissions recently. Everything was normal save for extremely high NO2 levels. My cats are 20 mos. old and exhaust is only 3 years old. The exhaust manifold is leaking slightly on 4 and 6; definitely needs a new gasket. After the test, I replaced the plugs( they were toast, horrible) and the fuel filter. BTW, I did not do the 20 min. highway run before the test either. I'm not used to having emissions, so this is all new to me.

4) The Shifts take plenty of effort. The car has an e36 M3 shift lever. But, it also has a normal (weight) BMW shift knob. I know that a heavier knob will reduce the effort somewhat, like on my M3, but I don't want a gaudy knob. I want a standard looking leather knob. Any tips?

4.a) I want to change the tranny fluid as well to see if that will reduce effort somewhat. I haven't been able to find an exact answer on what tranny fluid I should use for my 10/88 production date.

5) I need some new brake pads front and rear. I want low cost, good grip and low dust, but not a racing pad. This car will never see the track. Rotors are good, fluid is good.

I guess that's it for now. Thanks in advance guys.

'Ben

Kalevera
07-04-2005, 10:14 PM
On #1, replace the headliner and trim panels; pull the dash and clean all vents and ducts; clean the heater core and evaporator. If it's still not smelling right, start replacing plastic parts -- plastic absorbs smells.

#2 -- messed up dash module? Mine had an EML light that stayed on consistently -- key or no key. I ended up pulling the bulb.

#3: get it good and hot. If there's a line at the emissions place, shut the motor off while you wait so that the engine will heat soak and not cool at idle or start up the aux fan.

#4 -- Rob Levinson's Rob Knob (aka RK or RKII) are decent...might be a bit expensive. EDIT: (but it is somewhat gaudy).

a. - Redline MTL/Royal Purple's offering/Amsoil's offering.

#5....oh boy, here we go again. Do a search, matey -- there are tons of posts on the topic. Personally, I like Raybestos QS. Others like the axxis metalmasters/ultimates.

best, whit

Hey guys,

I have a few little issues that I need some help with.

1989 535iA, 5 Spd., 10/88 prod. date

1) The car smells like an ashtray. The previous owner smoked cigars every so often and that smell lingers heavily. I shampooed the carpet and replaced the floor mats so far. What else should i do?

2) Almost every time I turn the car off, it resets the service lights(from fully serviced to the needs service lights) and the tripometer. WTF? And sometimes the odometer and OBC light(in the cluster, not the actual OBC) goes out all the way as well. The latter is not as often.

3) I failed emissions recently. Everything was normal save for extremely high NO2 levels. My cats are 20 mos. old and exhaust is only 3 years old. The exhaust manifold is leaking slightly on 4 and 6; definitely needs a new gasket. After the test, I replaced the plugs( they were toast, horrible) and the fuel filter. BTW, I did not do the 20 min. highway run before the test either. I'm not used to having emissions, so this is all new to me.

4) The Shifts take plenty of effort. The car has an e36 M3 shift lever. But, it also has a normal (weight) BMW shift knob. I know that a heavier knob will reduce the effort somewhat, like on my M3, but I don't want a gaudy knob. I want a standard looking leather knob. Any tips?

4.a) I want to change the tranny fluid as well to see if that will reduce effort somewhat. I haven't been able to find an exact answer on what tranny fluid I should use for my 10/88 production date.

5) I need some new brake pads front and rear. I want low cost, good grip and low dust, but not a racing pad. This car will never see the track. Rotors are good, fluid is good.

I guess that's it for now. Thanks in advance guys.

'Ben

///Mpressive
07-05-2005, 01:20 PM
Thanks for the response Whit. Any other suggestions are welcomed.

Thanks,
Ben

dacoyote
07-05-2005, 01:24 PM
One #1 you may want to try a ozone machine, they can help get that smoker smell out of the car.

-Charles

632 Regal
07-05-2005, 01:26 PM
axxis deluxe plus
http://www.stoptech.com/axxis_pads/#deluxe