PDA

View Full Version : Slightly overfilled my oil.

mbogosia
07-04-2005, 08:06 PM
I did my 1st oil change on this car and it was a breeze. Except that my oil is just slightly above the top line. I had it perfect right in the middle and then I tried to top it off. :( Anyways, can I pop the oil filter housing and suck some out using a syringe, or do I have to drain all of it from below and start over? Or will I be okay because it is barely over the top line. Probably less than 1/4 of a quart too much.

BigKriss
07-04-2005, 08:19 PM
I did my 1st oil change on this car and it was a breeze. Except that my oil is just slightly above the top line. I had it perfect right in the middle and then I tried to top it off. :( Anyways, can I pop the oil filter housing and suck some out using a syringe, or do I have to drain all of it from below and start over? Or will I be okay because it is barely over the top line. Probably less than 1/4 of a quart too much.

if your worried theres too much oil, just drain a bit from the bottom (drain plug). it will be messy, but aren't all cars.

mbogosia
07-04-2005, 08:34 PM
I think I am going to just leave it how it is. I just checked it again and it is barely above the line. I don't think it is enough to cause any damage.

uscharalph
07-05-2005, 12:29 AM
I think I've read about some things happenning when people have overshot the mark, but I'm pretty sure it was like a whole quart over.

zuzuk212
07-05-2005, 03:39 PM
You can do it clean by using a self bleeding pump for brakes ... it's a vacuum pump, I've seen them called mighty vac ... http://www.tooldesk.com/shop/mityvac.wml (this site is just for example ... I have not purchased from them)
Place the tube down through the dipstick tube and remove the amount you need ... did this with a friends auto tran that a jiffy lube over filled by quarts!

Ken

DanH
07-05-2005, 04:16 PM
Less than a 1/4 qt won't hurt anything.

The dipstick isnt accurate enough to tell much difference +/- 1/4 qt. It depends on the oil temp, how long the car has been sitting, etc.

Kalevera
07-05-2005, 05:43 PM
True. Mityvacs are handy but - at least the one I use - requires shop air, and few people have that at home/at their disposal.

Count it off by how many marks above filled it is: one or two marks above are fine. More and there's a risk of damage.

best, whit

zuzuk212
07-06-2005, 09:14 AM
Huh ... the one I have is a hand pump which can be brutal ... but since I don't have air that's the way it has to be.

Ken

Rusty
07-06-2005, 12:17 PM
I wouldn't fool with it. I can't imagine that an extra 1/4 of a quart of oil is going to do any harm...and it doesn't sound, to me, like you have even that much extra in the crank case.

JeremyT
07-06-2005, 01:57 PM
Just leave it. It takes quite a bit of extra oil to harm anything...