PDA

View Full Version : Help, drivers door won't lock...

motuman
07-02-2005, 02:58 PM
I am replacing my driver's door lock actuator today and find that I cannot manually lock the drivers door. With the door closed and the lock actuator removed, the door cannot be locked with the key, using the interior knob, or by trying to move the plunger inside the door by hand. It feels like there is some "failsafe" feature (for lack of a better term) preventing the door from being locked.

Is there a feature or setting that can be tripped preventing the door from being locked, or do I have a mechanical problem?

FWIW - The trouble started when I tried to lock the door (with the key) while the door was open. This fried the actuator, which I am now trying to replace. The new actuator works, but the lock mechanism cannot be moved by hand or by the actuator.

THANKS!!!

Kalevera
07-02-2005, 03:06 PM
What year is the car?

How has the actuator been confirmed as working?

With pre-'92 cars: actuator functionality depends on how it is installed. The mounting holes in the door frame are oblong. Positioning the actuator too close to the door jamb will result in a door that locks and can't be unlocked (fun). If it's too far away from the jamb (closer to the window regulator),the actuator will prevent the door from locking, and probably the rest of the car.

I would start by pulling the door panel, removing the actuator and checking the manual operation of the locking mechanism. Once that element is confirmed, align and install the actuator. Before reinstalling the door panel, assure that the central locking is working as it should.

best, whit

motuman
07-02-2005, 03:12 PM
Car is a '90. The door panel is off, the actuator is removed, and the lock mechanism cannot be moved by key, by knob, or by hand on the plunger inside the door. It is unlocked now, but cannot be moved to the locked position anyway, anyhow.

Thanks.

Javier
07-02-2005, 03:48 PM
Lowell may know better as he worked this kind of actuators.

Javier

motuman
07-02-2005, 04:51 PM
No...I took the actuator off the paseengers doors and you can lock and unlock the door manually.

Thanks.

Kalevera
07-02-2005, 06:50 PM
Has the car been subjected to road salt? Either way, it seems like a mechanical problem, either with the linkages or the lock cylinder itself. A few weeks back, I had an E30 with a driver's side door that refused to close. Pulled the panel and found that corrosion had inhibited the catch mechanism to the point where it wouldn't work. A bunch of PB, brake cleaner, and tef gel later, the door worked.

So, carefully check the mechanicals. Therein lies the problem.

good luck!

best, whit