PDA

View Full Version : amplifier question

pong
07-02-2005, 01:50 PM
my car is a 89 525i

where is the amp located? according to the electonics guy i talked to, the amp is missing... forgot to ask though where it is supposed to be...

anyways im planning to put in a alpine v12 amplifier... is this good?
is any amplifier compatible with whatever head unit? or is it selective?

thanks!

pong
07-02-2005, 01:56 PM
just a sec... there are lots of models out there... anyways... the revised question would be... in general, are they good amps?

uscharalph
07-02-2005, 02:02 PM
I also have an '89 525i. My amp is behind the driver's side, trunk side panel. Easy to get to.

pong
07-02-2005, 02:23 PM
oh ok thanks! anyways... do u have an idea whether or not amps are selective? meaning that they wont work depending on the head unit? or they are simply plug and play stuff... its the first time ill be meddling with the sound system of the car

Kalevera
07-02-2005, 02:57 PM
Some base model euro cars didn't come with amplifiers; this may be the case with yours. Where are you in the world?

The installation would practically be the same as if there were a preexisting factory amp (that is to say, completely different), only you'll have to run cable with RCAs between the head unit and the trunk and between the amp and each speaker, and perhaps wire in some crossovers to make the front stock components work (if you have them). Not a hard job seeing as there are lots of removable trim pieces along the sides of the car. If you aren't comfortabel doing work behind the dash, it might be a good idea to leave an amp installation to a "professional" (and not the monkeys at the local car audio shop -- get someone who actually knows how to crimp a wire and will wrap new cabling to match the existing harnesses).

I'm no car audio guru, but from what I do know, any head unit with an RCA out will work. The alpine probably has discreet left and right inputs, maybe more. I suppose you could operate an amp with speaker level outs, but that would probably result in audio quality ramifications.

Others with more experience will have more to say on the subject...

best, whit