PDA

View Full Version : Hard Power steering

mbogosia
07-02-2005, 12:01 PM
My steering on my 95 525I Auto seems a little to hard. It feels like it is almost w/o power steering at all. Is this normal? I checked my fluid and it looks full. What else can I check? I haven't gotten any Check engine lights either.

mbogosia
07-02-2005, 12:02 PM
It has been like this since I bought it several months ago so I have nothing to compare it to.

Rodericb
07-02-2005, 03:39 PM
It has been like this since I bought it several months ago so I have nothing to compare it to.

The e34 power steering is very smooth. There shouldn't be anything hard about it. Does your pump make noise? Have you flushed the system and tried fresh power steering fluid?

mbogosia
07-02-2005, 04:18 PM
I haven't flushed it. How do you drain it? On the cap it says ATF(Auto Trans Fluid I assume) Only. Can I get some at pepboys? What type?

Kalevera
07-02-2005, 05:30 PM
I bet someone messed around with the "adjustment" screw located on top of the box, often attributed for "tightening up" a loose E34 steering problem. In fact, the screw does nothing more than make the box harder to turn -- the looseness still exists, the driver just has to work harder when rotating the wheel, hence the perception that things are tighter.

I would start by changing the fluid -- it's probably ATF, but confirm before doing it. Unless you've got noise indicating a fluid starvation, I'd be surprised if it did anything. Still, it's a good thing to do. Also, be sure to bleed the system by rotating the steering wheel back and forth a few times while having a friend watch the reservoir for air bubbles and such. Keep the cap on when starting the car.

Given that a fluid change doesn't help things, loosen out the set screw and see if that changes anything. Also check the 32mm nut under the dash (however, if that was causing the problem, you'd probably hear cracking/other noises inside the car).

best, whit

mbogosia
07-02-2005, 05:58 PM
Just drained my fluid. It checked fine on the level but I didn't get much out. Maybe a 1/4 of a quart or so. Moved wheel back and forth and got the bubbles and excess fluid out. Where is this screw and box? I would like to give it a try also.

Kalevera
07-02-2005, 07:00 PM
The steering box is located in the left front of LHD cars, mounted to the subframe so that the pitman arm can reach the center link. The box has banjo-fastened power steering lines on it and a universal/rag joint runs between it and the firewall (and then up to the wheel). The set screw is located on the top of the box and has something like a 17mm nut, IIRC, that must first be loosened. From the factory, altering that screw's position by even a few degrees makes big changes in how much effort it takes to turn the wheel.

best, whit

mbogosia
07-02-2005, 07:13 PM
I did a couple searches and after seeing so many with too loose of steering I thought I should be happy to have a firm steering wheel. I flushed out the fluid one more time and refilled it and I believe it feels better. It still has some resistance, but is easy enough to pull into parking spots.

632 Regal
07-02-2005, 07:40 PM
how did the old fluid look?

mbogosia
07-02-2005, 10:43 PM
You could see a slight tint of red. I mean very slight. It was more of a dark brown/black color than anything. I have a lot of the cars records and I didn't see where he got the fluid changed. Car has 166K miles.