PDA

View Full Version : m20 177k oil leak high up on back of engine???

Gene in NC
07-02-2005, 11:00 AM
m20 177k oil leak high up on back of engine??? Previous posted as bell housing/main seal but oil is also coming down right side. Uncertain if enough to show at drain hole on bottom of bell housing, but leaks can show up in strange ways. Head gasket replaced @171k by shop for PO.

Gene in NC
07-05-2005, 12:20 PM
Bump.

Kalevera
07-05-2005, 05:16 PM
I'd suspect the valve cover gasket or (more likely) the rubber keystone gaskets that sit at the front and rear of the head (if your car has them...probably, but I can't remember).

It'd be a good idea to do a good inspection. If the VC gasket is leaking, you'll be able to feel the oil by sticking your hand along the edge. If the head gasket has a block external leak, it would be visible with the car up in the air....yadda yadda yadda.

best, whit

winfred
07-05-2005, 06:48 PM
it has them and ditto, the weirdest m20 e34 oil leak i've found was a leaking oil pressure switch that was pumping oil through the protective casing for the wire and it was comming out on the intake side of the motor

I'd suspect the valve cover gasket or (more likely) the rubber keystone gaskets that sit at the front and rear of the head (if your car has them...probably, but I can't remember).

It'd be a good idea to do a good inspection. If the VC gasket is leaking, you'll be able to feel the oil by sticking your hand along the edge. If the head gasket has a block external leak, it would be visible with the car up in the air....yadda yadda yadda.

best, whit