PDA

View Full Version : Variation of the ignition key lock problem

chapmanw
07-01-2005, 09:12 AM
Hi everyone,

I did some searching on the common steering lock problem wherein fellow e34 drivers cannot start their car because the key will not turn past a certain point.

I have a similar problem where i have no problem starting the vehicle, it's when i turn off the engine. I feel resistance turning the key and the key is a bit more difficult to take out. This happens half the time. In addition, i get the "key in ignition" warning message although the key has been taken out.

I plan to grab some locksmith's graphite (same as graphite dust? is it a spray?) and lube up the cylinder, using the advice of evan's website for removal
http://evansweb.info/article.php?story=20030119001513995

Has anybody come upon this similar problem? Most posts are about steering lock and not being able to start the car.

much appreciated,
chapman

DanH
07-01-2005, 10:37 AM
You can try rubbing a pencil tip (graphite) on the key and inserting it a few times. The internal lock parts are most likely sticking and not returning to their neutral positions.

Dash01
07-01-2005, 11:00 AM
If you squirt locksmith's graphite into the lock, go easy. It goes everywhere, fast. Most likely if the key is difficult to pull straight out, then it's a problem within the lock cylinder, and BMA sells a pre-keyed replacement for $58. I went ahead and replaced my old one, which was pretty worn after only ~15 years, and it's alot smoother with the BMA replacement.

If key removal is difficult because the key won't readily turn back to the default neutral (insertion) position, then the problem MAY be with the steering lock mechanism, which has a small bit that may break and jam the works.

LMUNick
07-01-2005, 11:11 AM
I just had the same thing happen to me the other day, where I got the Key In Ignition warning. And I have the same resistance problem. I was gonna try and tackle it this weekend with the graphite treatment. Keep us updated. I will as well-

Hi everyone,

I did some searching on the common steering lock problem wherein fellow e34 drivers cannot start their car because the key will not turn past a certain point.

I have a similar problem where i have no problem starting the vehicle, it's when i turn off the engine. I feel resistance turning the key and the key is a bit more difficult to take out. This happens half the time. In addition, i get the "key in ignition" warning message although the key has been taken out.

I plan to grab some locksmith's graphite (same as graphite dust? is it a spray?) and lube up the cylinder, using the advice of evan's website for removal
http://evansweb.info/article.php?story=20030119001513995

Has anybody come upon this similar problem? Most posts are about steering lock and not being able to start the car.

much appreciated,
chapman

CheapCheap1
07-01-2005, 11:32 AM
It's a good idea to check the iginition key...

If anyone has already did yours, could you pls write up the instructions...to share w/ all of us.

winfred
07-01-2005, 11:39 AM
depending on the year some cars have a cable going to the shifter that could cause problems if it or it's linkage is sticking

chapmanw
07-03-2005, 12:52 AM
I just had the same thing happen to me the other day, where I got the Key In Ignition warning. And I have the same resistance problem. I was gonna try and tackle it this weekend with the graphite treatment. Keep us updated. I will as well-

Here's a quick update.

I tried getting the cylinder out but didn't have much luck. I only spent a few minutes on it.

Anyhow, I decided to just try the locksmith's graphite powder before proceeding any further. It seemed to do the trick. The key is turning perfectly so far. There's no resistance when shutting off the car. The key in the ignition messge has also disappeared.

I'll see how long this holds up before deciding to remove the cylinder.