PDA

View Full Version : M30 Engine pull question

Jeff N.
06-30-2005, 11:49 AM
Anyone know if you can pull an M30 out the top without dropping the tranny? (5 speed)

Last engine swap we first dropped the exhaust and tranny, then pulled the motor out the top.

Getting ready for the 3.7 install; wondering if we can skip the exhaust and tranny step.

Jeff

Martin in Bellevue
06-30-2005, 11:55 AM
Who's WE? You got the queen of england over there?

Robin-535im
06-30-2005, 11:59 AM
You've been surprisingly quiet about the project lately... I was wondering when you'd be posting 1/4 mile times!

Geez - now I really will have to come out there for the wedding (friend getting married on the 30th in Seattle).

I have no experience with this operation on this car, but it might be worth it to drop the exhaust, DS and tranny just to be sure. Should only add an hour or two to the job, but it's nice to have extra room. Or rather, it really sucks to *almost* get it out then have to rush and pull the tranny while Martin patiently holds the engine up with his bare hands.

Nowadays I tend to remove too many things than remove too few because I really hate trying to squeeze things out that just barely don't fit, whereas if I took the time to take out the extra parts the whole job would have been a breeze.

Let us know how it goes together!!

Bruno
06-30-2005, 11:59 AM
Anyone know if you can pull an M30 out the top without dropping the tranny? (5 speed)

Last engine swap we first dropped the exhaust and tranny, then pulled the motor out the top.

Getting ready for the 3.7 install; wondering if we can skip the exhaust and tranny step.

Jeff

YEs you can pull it with the tranny. When I have done it the rad, condenser, hood and grill was gone so it was easy to come out.

But the tranny on the 535i is easy to come out (3.5 hours, in and out with 2 people).

I would drop the tranny and remove the hood, no need to cut corners and damage some body panels on your car.
At the same time you can check the clutch..

What type of flywheel are you running?

Maximabello
06-30-2005, 12:11 PM
Let me know if you guys need an extra hand, It would be fun to see what's involved!

Erik

Jeff N.
06-30-2005, 12:33 PM
Condensor? ooooo. I don't want to pull that. Rad is no problem; AC is PITA.

Bruno: Do you know if you can leave the tranny in the car and slide the motor forward enough to get it off the shaft? That would be best. I agree it's not too bad to pull the tranny but it's PITA to jack the car up that high, then drop it to do the pull, then put it back up in the air.

Flywheel is a 17lb unit from a 533.

Martin: hmmm..pull an engine or hang with the wifey at the Mall. Yer choice.

Robin: 30th huh? hmmm. I'll look at the calendar and see how that weekend looks.

Erik: We'll let you know when the project queues up. Be glad to have you stop by or lend a hand.

Jeff

Bruno
06-30-2005, 12:37 PM
Condensor? ooooo. I don't want to pull that. Rad is no problem; AC is PITA.

Bruno: Do you know if you can leave the tranny in the car and slide the motor forward enough to get it off the shaft? That would be best. I agree it's not too bad to pull the tranny but it's PITA to jack the car up that high, then drop it to do the pull, then put it back up in the air.

Flywheel is a 17lb unit from a 533.

Martin: hmmm..pull an engine or hang with the wifey at the Mall. Yer choice.

Robin: What were your dates again?

Erik: We'll let you know when the project queues up.

Jeff

Jeff, do it right. you don't want to screw something up because you wanted to save some time. I do know it is a pain, but...
Yes I think that you can slide the tranny off, but it will be a major pain to put it back like that. Personnaly I wouldn't. I would drop it all and get the engine out. Tell us how it goes.

Jeff N.
06-30-2005, 12:45 PM
Basically been hoarding up parts and having some discussions with the machinist about how to approach the bore out. The guy doing the work is well respected by the the local bimmer racers as *the* engine builder to work with.

The big issue really has been to sort a good approach to do the overbore on the block. Cutting out 3mm is no trivial matter it seems and he's been sort of vetting out the process. He just finished another M30 overbore project and he's going to update his appoach a bit based on what he's learned. I'm sort of letting him set some of the pace as opposed to driving the project. He's had several discussions with Jim Rowe on specs, approachs, bores finishes etc and he's now ready to go. I'm looking to have the shortblock back sometime in the 3rd week of July.

Kidlet Kyler (http://homepage.mac.com/rnord) has slowed things down a bit as well; just not quite the spare time these days. Sure you are more than aware of that. :)

We may be ready to go about the time you are in town. If not, you can come over an ogle at a shiny engine and have a beer.

You've been surprisingly quiet about the project lately... I was wondering when you'd be posting 1/4 mile times!

Geez - now I really will have to come out there for the wedding (friend getting married on the 30th in Seattle).

I have no experience with this operation on this car, but it might be worth it to drop the exhaust, DS and tranny just to be sure. Should only add an hour or two to the job, but it's nice to have extra room. Or rather, it really sucks to *almost* get it out then have to rush and pull the tranny while Martin patiently holds the engine up with his bare hands.

Nowadays I tend to remove too many things than remove too few because I really hate trying to squeeze things out that just barely don't fit, whereas if I took the time to take out the extra parts the whole job would have been a breeze.

Let us know how it goes together!!

Maximabello
06-30-2005, 01:13 PM
Great, should be fun!

Erik

Gene in NC
06-30-2005, 03:48 PM
why can't you drop engine and trans out the bottom like the factory installs it? Works for 2002s.

632 Regal
06-30-2005, 04:06 PM
why can't you drop engine and trans out the bottom like the factory installs it? Works for 2002s.
I wont touch that one.

When I used to yank and replace it is definetly easier, and less time consuming to pull the engine trans in a combo...BUT, if you want to just yank the engine without removing the trans thats do-able. Its the reinstall that is going to give you a host of other problems. I never did a bimmer combo but its the same setup as others, I guess to try and see is the only way to make sure. You can always yank the engine back out if you cant couple it to the trans on the install.

bjl4776
06-30-2005, 04:06 PM
I pulled an M50 out a couple of months ago, and it was a close fit to get it out with the tranny attached. Since the body was trashed, the radiator and condensor were out of the way, and I just the radiator support to make it extra easy. I say I would drop the tranny before pulling the engine.

Jeff N.
06-30-2005, 04:32 PM

Robin-535im
06-30-2005, 05:46 PM
You sure Martin doesn't have one in his garage, next to those fine persian rugs he uses to work upon? :)

Blitzkrieg Bob
06-30-2005, 09:04 PM
Will do it perfectly, without even scratch the trans tunnel.

If you plan on putting the car back together...don't drop it from below with the cross member. it's easy for a quick stripping job. But it will be a major pain to try to line everything back up while floating the chassis.