PDA

View Full Version : Auto trans acting quirky

Al Gray
06-30-2005, 09:30 AM
I posted this thread before the hard disk crash. Here it goes again.

I recently changed the auto trans filter and fluid. My 1992 525i now has 180,000 miles on it and runs fine. The transmission acts like it pops out of gear on deceleration, generally between 20 to 30 mph. My solution is to put the car in neutral, wait a couple seconds and then put it into drive again. The transmission then resumes normal operation. It does not do this all the time in fact most of the time it runs fine. I do not have this problem at all when accelerating. The car shifts normally and I have no problems at all. I have kept check on the automatic transmission fluid as since I bought the car 5 years ago I have always had a transmission fluid leak which ususally leaves droplets around the two fluid sumps. Yes, I have replaced the gaskets, properly torqued the bolts and all that. I have yet to find where the leak is emanating from. Probably it would be above the sumps somewhere.

I can't believe I am the only person that has ever had this problem. I would welcome any and all solutions to the transmission shifting problem and the leak.

Al Gray

632 Regal
06-30-2005, 11:58 AM
what do you mean by "pops out of gear and resumes normal operation??"

Al Gray
06-30-2005, 01:50 PM
The transmission acts like it is in neutral. The shifter has not moved, the shift selector on the dash says ED (driive). The engine will race if I blip the gas pedal an act as though it is not in gear. It is almost as if you missed a shift. It does not do it all the time. I read some info regarding Trans Program that sometimes problems are caused in the electronics like dirty connections and things like that. The problem is not bad yet but I am sure there is a reason for the way the auto trans is acting.

what do you mean by "pops out of gear and resumes normal operation??"

632 Regal
06-30-2005, 04:14 PM
Ok thanks for the clarification. It does to me sound electrical also. Clean all the connectors at the trans first, those are subjected to the most abuse, also trace the wires and look for wear spots at the points it might rub.