PDA

View Full Version : Is it ok?

rickz
06-29-2005, 07:31 PM
Guys,

Is it ok to clean the intake manifold using carb cleaners? I was cleaning the ICV yesterday and when I look into the intake, it is dirty as hell. What is the best way to clean it up without having to diassembly the intake manifold? Will spraying some carb cleaner work? My car now has 55K km.

632 Regal
06-29-2005, 07:39 PM
I wouldnt bother with spraying crap in there, wait till you have to replace the intake gaskets and then you can clean from the port sides also. ps intake gaskets are almost a maintenance item at 150k.

infinity5
06-29-2005, 07:51 PM
i had some carb cleaner a few weeks ago to clean parts and the TB with. i noticed that it *melted* any plastic i let it come into contact with..... our intake manifolds are plastic... probably not a good idea. dirt won't hurt. Listen to regal! taking the thing off is almost fun :) i soaked the entire manifold in oxyclean for a few hours to get the buildup around the injector ports off.

infinity5
06-29-2005, 07:54 PM
its nice to see more v8's, by the way! we'll take over someday..... crush those pompus 6's

rickz
06-29-2005, 07:59 PM
Thanks for the replies guys. Glad I've found the right forum for my beloved V8 :) . By the way is it hard to do the intake gasket replacement in M60?

Blitzkrieg Bob
06-29-2005, 08:00 PM
if going to spray it down the intake.

Carb clean is okay on a running motor with oil splashing about the bores or stuff that is out of the engine.

Throttle body cleaner is made to be used with the engine off, and is a little bit more gentle on the rings, plastic and rubber stuff then carb cleaner.

winfred
06-29-2005, 08:19 PM
i wouldn't worry about grime on the walls of the intake unless it's like a 1/4 inch thick, washing that crap and sending it and all of that solvent into the cylinders wouldn't be a good thing, the plastic the intakes are made of doesn't have a problem with carb cleaner or brake cleaner even the good stuff with acetone in it that turns your paint job to mush

winfred
06-29-2005, 08:26 PM
it's suprisingly not too bad, plan on a half day maybe longer, i do then in a couple hours but i have a tool set that cost more then both of my bimmers together and i do this crap for a living, watchout for the #30 torx on the front and back plates/throttle body they are absurdly tight and strip easyly, do all 4 base seals the 2 end seals and the pcv plate aka cyclonic valve that is the back cover of the intake, any and all cause problems

Thanks for the replies guys. Glad I've found the right forum for my beloved V8 :) . By the way is it hard to do the intake gasket replacement in M60?

rickz
06-29-2005, 08:30 PM
Hmmm... quite difficult. I guess I will let my mechanic do it. Thanks winfred.