PDA

View Full Version : Control Check message on graphic display ?

Kiros3000
06-29-2005, 08:30 AM
Hello,

I get the "control check" message on the graphic display after starting the car. Subsequently I pressed the contol check button and I get "owner's manual"...

Is there anything I should be worry about ?

Thanks

1990 535i

E34-520iSE
06-29-2005, 03:24 PM
It sounds like a non-functioning check control unit. Might be a fuse or the unit itself. It's in the front fuse box. I get the same message on my dash, as my dash was an upgrade, I don't have any check control unit fitted.

cheers,

Shaun

ukm5
06-29-2005, 03:50 PM
might just be loose, its located in the fuse box in the engine bay, unplug and plug back in

gale
06-29-2005, 08:46 PM
If it's a sporadic event, I wouldn't worry about it. Mine used to do that a few years ago, usually not until after shutting it off, along with a chime sound. I since replaced the battery and it hasn't done it since. The electricals in these cars are extremely sensitive to under volt situations and is probably a phenomenon precipitated by the unloading relays latching in right after starting when the battery just discharged a significant amount of its reserve from cranking the engine over.

shogun
06-29-2005, 08:56 PM
It depends on the country version. I have discussed that with the people here from BMW in Japan. They explained to me that is is just a self-test function and nothing wrong. I even get a sign 'catalysator' when I switch on the ignition. It then disappears.
This is a special function only on japanmese BMW as the cat has a temperature feeler at the end of the cat and it will give an alarm when the temp exceeds a certain temp.
Was a special requirement for importing foreign made cars.
Here a pic of this speciality. One of my freinds had a problem when he imported a new cat from USA w/o this connection
http://members.roadfly.org/hairwithit/rightside.JPG

ukm5
06-29-2005, 10:48 PM
its not a self test function at all, whats up shogun your off the mark with this one

shogun
06-29-2005, 11:13 PM
That is what the people here at BMW Japan told me. According to them, it just confirms that the functions (warnings) work. So it is a kind of self test.
Maybe a special one for Japan only, who knows?

Anyway, I always get these readings when I switch the car in ignition position 2, not only on one car but on all 3 E32 japanese version I have.
And my friends from the E32 club here have the same.

Strange things are going on here, sometimes :p
Or is it even different on E34 and E32?

Kiros3000
06-30-2005, 07:34 AM
might just be loose, its located in the fuse box in the engine bay, unplug and plug back in

I will give it a try and let you know.

Kiros3000
06-30-2005, 07:37 AM
If it's a sporadic event, I wouldn't worry about it. Mine used to do that a few years ago, usually not until after shutting it off, along with a chime sound. I since replaced the battery and it hasn't done it since. The electricals in these cars are extremely sensitive to under volt situations and is probably a phenomenon precipitated by the unloading relays latching in right after starting when the battery just discharged a significant amount of its reserve from cranking the engine over.

It's actually happening everytime I start the car.

But again, nothing seems to be amiss..

Kiros3000
06-30-2005, 07:40 AM
It depends on the country version. I have discussed that with the people here from BMW in Japan. They explained to me that is is just a self-test function and nothing wrong. I even get a sign 'catalysator' when I switch on the ignition. It then disappears.
This is a special function only on japanmese BMW as the cat has a temperature feeler at the end of the cat and it will give an alarm when the temp exceeds a certain temp.
Was a special requirement for importing foreign made cars.
Here a pic of this speciality. One of my freinds had a problem when he imported a new cat from USA w/o this connection
http://members.roadfly.org/hairwithit/rightside.JPG

I'm in Canada. So I'm not sure if this would apply.

Thx.