PDA

View Full Version : Need Some Brake Bleeding Advice!

infinity5
06-28-2005, 10:27 PM
I'm repalcing my brake fluid resivor. It came with the two little pipes that lead to the master cylinder, and the plastic plugs for them. It seems pretty simple. but...

When i install the new resivor the pipes will be empty, and i'm afraid if i bleed it like normal i'll fill the system with a buttload of air. any ideas? even if i attach the new resivor and fill it with brake fluid the little pipes will still be full of air, and once i start bleeding it'll all get sucked into the master cylinder.. and then into the ABS module, and then i'll be f**ked.

maybe i can fill the little pipes with brake fluid before i put the resivor on car? and then attach it real quick-like and hope for the best? the indy down the street wants $150 to bleed my brakes, and he'll just pump the pedal like i would, no special equipment.

JAlfredPrufrock
06-28-2005, 10:34 PM
I woudn't worry about it, reattach everything before putting fluid into the system.

If you have a Bentley it would probably be good to read through the procedure to make sure my advice isn't crap... I left mine in my car that's ~100 miles away.

infinity5
06-28-2005, 10:51 PM
you're right, bently doesn't say anything other than just bleed per usual. although the procedure they outline isn't for my car, i'm sure it doesn't espeically matter.

zuzuk212
06-29-2005, 09:48 AM
Don't forget the clutch line ... if you have a manual transmision ... that reservoir feeds both the brakes and the clutch.

Ken

632 Regal
06-29-2005, 10:36 AM
put the master in a vice, plug the outputs and bleed it stationary then put it in.

GS535i
06-29-2005, 05:42 PM
You can install the reservoir - then chase the air with a small 'backflush': Remove one or two wheels, and pull on the caliper to push the piston backwards. A 'C' clamp may be necessary. This will backflow enough brake fluid into the reservoir to eliminate any air - then fill and bleed as normal. If you have a 5-sp and are concerned about air in the clutch, removing the slave cylinder and pushing the piston rod inwards does the same trick.

infinity5
06-29-2005, 06:01 PM
wow, gs535i, thats an excellent idea :) i think thats what i'll do. the hoses are pretty short and small... even if it doesn't totally remove all the air it'll get pretty close.