PDA

View Full Version : overheating...almost

jsvizijr
06-28-2005, 04:51 PM
Have any of you ever had something like this happen?

My 1995 525i gets hotter than the 1/2 way point when I am stuck in traffic with the A/C on. When I turn the A/C off, the needle falls slow. I believe the aux fan is working properly because I have checked it when the car is warm and it is running. The clutch fan is new (first attempt at fixing it). The water pump bearings seem to be fine, no slop in the fan at all. The serpentine belt is tight and all of the tensioners/ idlers are functioning properly.

I have not been able to check the functions of the 'T' stat.

Figured that I should ask the experts before I make another stab in the dark at it.

Joe

uscharalph
06-28-2005, 05:04 PM
The aux fan should turn on whenever you turn on the a/c. So when the car is cool, turn the a/c on and check to seem if it's on.

JAlfredPrufrock
06-28-2005, 05:22 PM
Never hurts to do a coolant bleed.

CheapCheap1
06-28-2005, 05:27 PM
check if the aux fan is working or not?
(May be the resistor pack was already burnt out... and, this could possible shut off the aux fan too.)

Good luck...

Dan in NZ
06-28-2005, 07:05 PM
Next step could be getting the radiator flow tested. I went through the same thing a while back, and found out the radiator was 75% blocked.

jsvizijr
06-29-2005, 04:30 AM
Aux fan is working. I do need to confirm a second speed (?). How can I check the flow of the radiator?

632 Regal
06-29-2005, 10:27 AM
cant really check the radiator for flow, have to take it in. Check it out closely around the hose inlets, they tend to blow suddenly.

Does your car sound like a schoolbus with the air on and hot in traffic? I read that you put a new clutch for the fan, maybe it isnt working properly.

Gooch
06-29-2005, 11:35 AM
take the radiator right out. I took mine out last weekend. Its real easy after draining.

I flushed it with a hose and some crap came out. Seems to run a tad cooler. Clean between the fins too.

jsvizijr
06-30-2005, 05:24 AM
take the radiator right out. I took mine out last weekend. Its real easy after draining.

I flushed it with a hose and some crap came out. Seems to run a tad cooler. Clean between the fins too.

I will try this, hopefully this weekend. Thank you

jsvizijr
06-30-2005, 05:25 AM
cant really check the radiator for flow, have to take it in. Check it out closely around the hose inlets, they tend to blow suddenly.

Does your car sound like a schoolbus with the air on and hot in traffic? I read that you put a new clutch for the fan, maybe it isnt working properly.

It sounds like a bus...this is good right?

632 Regal
06-30-2005, 09:46 AM
yes, if the clutch is good and the aux fans are working I would say the next step is the radiator like mentioned above. Process of elimination...hopefully the front of the rad is covered with tree fuzzies and dirt, be like easy street.

Blitzkrieg Bob
06-30-2005, 09:21 PM
or a millon bees & other bugs