PDA

View Full Version : Do you "un" Chip before Emissions Test?

DaCan23
06-28-2005, 09:21 AM
So my new 6er is runnin a little hot and thats why i probably failed emissions, cause it was close... but when I was cleaning her up I found in the glovebox a bag w/ some papers & a little plastic box, on it a nice shiney Dinan sticker, and the stock Eprom inside... ooooo I got a Dinan Chip!!!

Should I stick the stock back in for Emissions testing? Remember I am in MA so it's tough...

DallasBill
06-28-2005, 09:38 AM
I never have with my Conforti Shark chip -- since 1999. I always make sure my oil is changed and the car has been at freeway speeds for at least 20 minutes before I head in first thing in the morning. And, I don't turn it off if there is a short wait. I also run a container of RXP through a tankful before that time of year.

I am always really close to going over on low-speed HC, but that's about it.

DaCan23
06-28-2005, 09:55 AM
Is RXP denatured alcohol? Its was suggested to dump 3/4 quart of denatured into 1/2 a tank and give it a good running before bringing in.

Jason
06-28-2005, 10:24 AM
I never have. I haven't done any special preparations for it either. Maybe i should look into it though. I think NY is at least as tough as MA... not sure though

bfd
06-28-2005, 12:38 PM
So my new 6er is runnin a little hot and thats why i probably failed emissions, cause it was close... but when I was cleaning her up I found in the glovebox a bag w/ some papers & a little plastic box, on it a nice shiney Dinan sticker, and the stock Eprom inside... ooooo I got a Dinan Chip!!!

Should I stick the stock back in for Emissions testing? Remember I am in MA so it's tough...

No. I have a 1990 535i, 5spd, 101K miles, and a "Jim C" chip. I live in CALIFORNIA, home of the toughest smog test in the world. Last week I took my car in for smog on the new roller smog test and passed with flying colors!

The key - get your catalytic converter nice and hot before taking the test. So, get out on the highway for a good 1/2 hr and go for it!

shragon
06-28-2005, 01:01 PM
passed cali's smog-II with the conforti chip a few months ago.

i agree with bfd, that you really need to get the cat nice and hot by driving on the freeway hard for at least 20 min or so. also when you get to the smog place, do not turn your car off and try to get them to smog it right away.

DaCan23
06-28-2005, 01:30 PM
Cool, thanks guys, as soon as I get the temp gauge back to midpoint I'm sure it'll pass.

Anton CH.
06-28-2005, 02:19 PM
Also ask the technician to warm up the car for you. He will let it roll on rollers for a while before starting the test.

DallasBill
06-28-2005, 03:25 PM
DaCan23... RXP is here: http://www.rxp.com/how.htm

Removes carbon buildup like a champ. Not alcohol, although I have heard that one too.

CheapCheap1
06-28-2005, 05:07 PM
Ingredients: RxP Blend In Soy Methyl Ester (% By Weight: 100)

Wow...it made from Soy !!!
(Can't wait to try a gasoline from Soy. :D)

DaCan23... RXP is here: http://www.rxp.com/how.htm

Removes carbon buildup like a champ. Not alcohol, although I have heard that one too.

DallasBill
06-29-2005, 02:28 PM
Ingredients: RxP Blend In Soy Methyl Ester (% By Weight: 100)

Wow...it made from Soy !!!
(Can't wait to try a gasoline from Soy. :D)That's not the RXP Gas Kicker used in cars. That's their R-Mod bulk fuel additive used to reduce NOx and CO emissions from biodiesel fuels.