PDA

View Full Version : Shimmy Revisited

john neuhoff
06-27-2005, 11:05 PM
I have a 95 530ia with 170K Engine replaced at 100K. I got it 2+ years ago and when I replaced the wheels and tires went thru a fiasco with the 55 shimmy. Multiple replacement tire, wheels, new front end etc. Finally I found relief by having the wheels and hubs miked and having custom hubcentric rings made.

Alas the tires wore out and I got a new set of Pirelli Pzero neros M&S. After a front end alignment they were working well. But after a few weeks the shimmy began again. I replaced the hubcentric rings in the front and it chnged the vibration, more subtle, but still bothers me. After I ordered the performance bushings and control arms from Bavarian it is as if she new they were coming and she straightened up. The shimmy is reduced and now I am wondering if I should even install the new arms. I remember that the old shimmy would come and go. The front end replacement was with factory parts. The indy I used didn't believe in the 7 series bushings and I went with his advise, that was 50K ago.

The question: Do I go ahead and install the new arms, will the problem continue until I bite the bullet and put them on. Finally, can I hope for a relatively vibration/shimmy free existance once I put them on.

Thanks for your thoughts
John

Guelphguy
06-28-2005, 05:38 AM
I know that this does not answer your question, but i just want to add that I am surprised how sensitive these cars are to the "shimmy", I as well recently went through, new rims, tires, thrust arms, control arms, etc and now as long as I do not rotate my rims from front to back I am ok....I literally had to mark which rim belong to which side to ensure I do not get the shimmy....yes, had each rim rebalanced several times, brand new rims, brand new tires...everything else looks ok...now this is fine for now, but If I get uneven tire wear...oh well, can't rotate! lol...
Anyway, I don't know if you have tried that yet, but for some reason it did get rid of my shimmy when I finally got the right rim/hub combo?
Good luck,

Paul in NZ
06-28-2005, 05:58 AM
if you run 17s its more than likely that they have a slight bend,I face the same predicament.The ony way i can rotate the tires is to dismount them and remount them on my best two rims which stay on the front.Either that or you have slightly out of round tires,or you need hubcentric rings.....Ihave just got new bushes,if you havent got too many miles on the arms you can replace just the bushes,if you can get the arms of that is,you may need new boots tho....I must say that my ride is quieter and seems smoother with the new bushes.

john neuhoff
06-28-2005, 06:51 AM
if you run 17s its more than likely that they have a slight bend,I face the same predicament.The ony way i can rotate the tires is to dismount them and remount them on my best two rims which stay on the front.Either that or you have slightly out of round tires,or you need hubcentric rings.....Ihave just got new bushes,if you havent got too many miles on the arms you can replace just the bushes,if you can get the arms of that is,you may need new boots tho....I must say that my ride is quieter and seems smoother with the new bushes.

They are 17's and I'm sure that is the source, but they look great. Thanks for the help. I think I'll put the new arms on and hope for the best, at this point what's a few more $
Thanks
John

632 Regal
06-28-2005, 12:57 PM
I find it off that you arent using standard hubcentric rings, Maybe the ones you have arent tight enough to the hub? 50k on your thrust arms may be all that they could take before wearing out, mine are worn out after about 35k from the crappy roads out here. I also have a set that needs to be installed.

john neuhoff
06-28-2005, 01:22 PM
I find it off that you arent using standard hubcentric rings, Maybe the ones you have arent tight enough to the hub? 50k on your thrust arms may be all that they could take before wearing out, mine are worn out after about 35k from the crappy roads out here. I also have a set that needs to be installed.

Actually the hubcentrics that came with the wheels were to large for the hubs, so I had some made that are very snug. I hear you about the delicate thrut arms and you help convince me they should be replaced. If nothing alse it will close that avenue.
Thanks for your reply
John