PDA

View Full Version : Worse day ever... or Strut installation nightmare

Bruno
02-23-2004, 03:04 PM
1st day:
Remove both front struts, compress spring, remove top nut, try to remove strut mount.... Impossible. Re-install the strut assembly.
Order new mounts.

2nd day:
Remove both front struts, compress spring, remove top nut, try to remove strut mount, cut the rubber under the mount and on top of the mount.
Use a pickle fork (now I love this tool) to pry the mount out of the strut insert.... 1 hour later the mount was out.
For the collar nut, I used a pipe wrench and my 5lb hammer for 30 min until I realised that nothing was going to happen.
So I cut the collar nut with a hacksaw in diagonal then used the pipe wrench, it worked like a charm...

The customer puts the top nut on the strut and crossthread it....

Result: 1 Sunday down the drain....

632 Regal
02-23-2004, 03:25 PM
LMAO...I'm sorry Bruno but the way you wrote it made me laugh.

George M
02-23-2004, 04:37 PM
Bruno, I thought I told you, never let the customer install the collar nuts :-)
A groove in the collar nut with a die grinder and a blunt air chisel and even the rustiest
collar nuts rattle right off....F taking a pipe wrench to a collar nut.
Momma said there were gonna be days like these...especially when wrenching.
George

Jeff N.
02-23-2004, 06:52 PM
oi...must be that east coast rust. I guess I now know why Bill's in Arizona.

Bruno, that sucks. Funny story though..thanks for sharing.

632 Regal
02-23-2004, 06:57 PM
cut the threads....didnt think about that. More food for thought.

BigD
02-23-2004, 07:33 PM
Dude, any time you need help don't hesitate to ask! I'm home every weekend. Rust is no match for 320 lbs + a big ass pipe.

1st day:
Remove both front struts, compress spring, remove top nut, try to remove strut mount.... Impossible. Re-install the strut assembly.
Order new mounts.

2nd day:
Remove both front struts, compress spring, remove top nut, try to remove strut mount, cut the rubber under the mount and on top of the mount.
Use a pickle fork (now I love this tool) to pry the mount out of the strut insert.... 1 hour later the mount was out.
For the collar nut, I used a pipe wrench and my 5lb hammer for 30 min until I realised that nothing was going to happen.
So I cut the collar nut with a hacksaw in diagonal then used the pipe wrench, it worked like a charm...

The customer puts the top nut on the strut and crossthread it....

Result: 1 Sunday down the drain....

gordon
02-23-2004, 07:52 PM
Certainly can be a nightmare.....!!!!!