PDA

View Full Version : This is wierd....20 MPH shimmy?

DanDombrowski
06-27-2005, 02:12 PM
So I was leaving the gas station the other day and I heard a noise that can only be described as what it would sound like if I left the trunk open and it slammed shut while I was driving (which it didn't, because when I went out to check the trunk was locked, so it couldn't have been open), and now I have this strange wobble. I didn't hit anything in the road that I can tell.

It wobbles the most right at 20 MPH. Its definitely coming from the rear of the car (steering wheel doesn't wobble), and its definitely coming from the right side of the car (when I make left turns it gets worse, when I make right turns it goes away). I guess one tire could be extremely out of balance, but it really doesn't feel like thats it. It almost feels like its a "side to side" wobble. I haven't had a chance to get under there (just happened yesterday), but I will later on today.

On top of that, the reason I was leaving the gas station was that I was driving from West Palm beach to Gainesville (~300 miles) and yet nothing out of the ordinary on the drive up other than a little more road vibration than normal. The entire time I was going between 90 and 95. At 45 Mph, I can't feel a thing.

Any ideas?

Russell
06-27-2005, 02:20 PM
Is it possilbe that a suspension related failure would cause the problem. Perhaps a bushing has failed causing the wheel to be misaligned at low speed. At higher speeds the wheel "self aligns" dure to rotational forces? Just a thought.

So I was leaving the gas station the other day and I heard a noise that can only be described as what it would sound like if I left the trunk open and it slammed shut while I was driving (which it didn't, because when I went out to check the trunk was locked, so it couldn't have been open), and now I have this strange wobble. I didn't hit anything in the road that I can tell.

It wobbles the most right at 20 MPH. Its definitely coming from the rear of the car (steering wheel doesn't wobble), and its definitely coming from the right side of the car (when I make left turns it gets worse, when I make right turns it goes away). I guess one tire could be extremely out of balance, but it really doesn't feel like thats it. It almost feels like its a "side to side" wobble. I haven't had a chance to get under there (just happened yesterday), but I will later on today.

On top of that, the reason I was leaving the gas station was that I was driving from West Palm beach to Gainesville (~300 miles) and yet nothing out of the ordinary on the drive up other than a little more road vibration than normal. The entire time I was going between 90 and 95. At 45 Mph, I can't feel a thing.

Any ideas?

CheapCheap1
06-27-2005, 02:20 PM
but I doubt it would give you shimmy at that low speed (20Mph)...???
Anyway, just get the tires balances 1st, since it's a cheap quick fix.

Also, I would check the shocks, drive shaft & drive train to make sure it's in a good working condition.

Good luck...

JonE
06-27-2005, 02:39 PM
Hmmm, failing or failed wheel bearing, or brakes related, or a steel radial belt slipped? Does it get hot on that side after a trip down the road? Otherwise, there are a few suspension parts back there. Could some wheel balancing weights have fallen off, of course, that wouldn't have caused the noise you heard. Let us know what you find!

DanDombrowski
06-27-2005, 04:05 PM
Well, just my luck. I got out there and decided that I would:

1) Put my full size spare on to see if it is a wheel balancing issue (or if the rim is serverely bent, oompa loompa caught in the wheel well, etc) and to have a look around the suspension without the rear wheel on.

2) Put the car up on ramps and have a look around

So I get the wheel off and I swear the rainclouds just crept up behind me and it started to pour....so I won't be able to get the wheel off and switched until later on tonight or tomorrow, but I'll definitely let you guys know what I found out.

Thanks for all the replies. I didn't think about the suspension bushing thing. I know I said that I didnt feel anything at 45, but driving today I can slightly feel it, so it is still there, just not as noticeable. Hopefully none of the bushings are one that have to be pressed in and I can replace them myself.

Will post back soon!

Hallmark
06-27-2005, 04:07 PM
If one (or a piece of one) got slung off and hit in front of the gas tank it could sound like it came from the trunk.

mattyb
06-28-2005, 09:33 AM
does it sound like doonk?

632 Regal
06-28-2005, 12:46 PM
bet you popped a band in the tire, try to roll it along and check if its wobbling. mannn if it is doing a long trip at 90 is really testing your luck!

E34-520iSE
06-28-2005, 01:00 PM

Any ideas?
I'm probably way off here, but are all your wheels still held on by 5 studs? Have you broke one?

Cheers,

Shaun

DanDombrowski
06-28-2005, 08:03 PM
bet you popped a band in the tire, try to roll it along and check if its wobbling. mannn if it is doing a long trip at 90 is really testing your luck!

Hit the nail on the head Jeff. I took the tire off today and said "Damn, whatever in my suspension broke caused my tire to wear way down on the inside!", and then when I rotated it around, the tread was fine. I rolled it around and noticed a big bulge right in one section of it, so I swapped on the spare and the wobble is gone. Too bad these tires aren't under warranty, now I have to go get a new one before I drive back to west palm (or drive the whole way on the spare).

Thanks for your input everyone!

632 Regal
06-28-2005, 08:12 PM
sorry it took me so long to reply, my internet was down at work and I stepped out last night. I try to hit these ASAP...kinda a game when I can help.

Anyways, glad you found the problem before something bad happened.

wingman
02-19-2006, 01:15 AM
I've got this EXACT problem only no noise. I discovered it recently on my trip to see the boys at Oran Park. I pulled the wheel off and put the spare on (brand new tyre). The wobble is still there. I know my rear suspension mounts are on the way so they're getting replaced at my March service. Could bad mounts be causing it?

wingman
02-19-2006, 12:02 PM
bump

HDhandyman
02-19-2006, 12:10 PM
bump

OT, Wingman your message box is full!

Toeks
02-19-2006, 12:29 PM
Dont want to hijack the thread, tell me to open another if its the case.
My car drives like a dream, except if I drive over some types of bumps, holes. It seems the front wheels shake violently (plus steering wheel) whenever I drive over something. It doesnt even have to be deep or nasty, even slightly mis-aligned manholes seem to induce this. I'm pretty sure the back wheels are fine. Any ideas? (I'm very new to the mechanical DIY type thing, have done simple service work i.e. plugs, filters, etc and replaced lights, but no suspension work or such).

632 Regal
02-19-2006, 01:27 PM
search for "thrust arm"

wingman
02-19-2006, 03:52 PM
I'm starting to see a pattern with this problem. I intend doing some pretty thorough investigating as to why back RH rear tyres are failing. As my problem is not the tyre (the result) but appears to be the source of the problem I'll see what I can come up with. I want to get it sorted before I ruin another back tyre. My initial fix will be to change suspension mounts. If not fixed I'll then get onto BMA and do the bushes in the rear end. I'll keep you all posted. This does not a appear to be wheel balance problem.

Anthony (M5 in Calgary)
02-19-2006, 03:58 PM
Dont want to hijack the thread, tell me to open another if its the case.
My car drives like a dream, except if I drive over some types of bumps, holes. It seems the front wheels shake violently (plus steering wheel) whenever I drive over something. It doesnt even have to be deep or nasty, even slightly mis-aligned manholes seem to induce this. I'm pretty sure the back wheels are fine. Any ideas? (I'm very new to the mechanical DIY type thing, have done simple service work i.e. plugs, filters, etc and replaced lights, but no suspension work or such).

I'd say your front dampers (shocks) are baked. I had the same thing when one of my Konis barfed its lifeblood. Every little sharp bump would shake the car and steering wheel but the car never had that floaty effect you see on others with lower spring rates when their shocks fail.

wingman
02-19-2006, 04:03 PM
OT, Wingman your message box is full!

Sorry? I've cleared it up.

wingman
02-19-2006, 10:26 PM
I think I'm starting to see the cause of my problem. Below is a pic of the RH outside rear control arm bushing. As you can see it's stuffed. After reading thread upon thread about rear in work in the search section my suspicions are justified (I think). The ruined tyres are the symptoms of these and other bushes dying and not the 'cause' of the problem. Many a board member has done this work themselves. I may give it a go. Now I just have to log into BMA...
http://i30.photobucket.com/albums/c301/wingman_1968/rearcontrolarmcopy.jpg

BigKriss
02-20-2006, 01:18 AM
Yours looked really stuffed, they are broken. They are called the rear pitman arms or the dogbones. I did mine about 1 year ago.

http://www.bimmer.info/forum/showthread.php?t=9675&highlight=dogbones
I didn't get the lemforder one, I think the brand was meyle. The lemforder one s give you new hardware like bolts and washers also, they are a bit more expensive.

Shogun gave me this link a while ago,

http://www.bimmerboard.com/forums/posts/51276

it tells you what to do. Its about a 30min job per side. If you can't get to it with the car level on the ground, reverse it onto some car ramps (the rear wheels on the car ramps). They are a simple remove and bolt-on item.

You can see the old to new ones here;

http://img294.imageshack.us/img294/7540/dog3small8by.jpg

I think I'm starting to see the cause of my problem. Below is a pic of the RH outside rear control arm bushing. As you can see it's stuffed. After reading thread upon thread about rear in work in the search section my suspicions are justified (I think). The ruined tyres are the symptoms of these and other bushes dying and not the 'cause' of the problem. Many a board member has done this work themselves. I may give it a go. Now I just have to log into BMA...
http://i30.photobucket.com/albums/c301/wingman_1968/rearcontrolarmcopy.jpg

wingman
02-20-2006, 01:38 AM
I knew you'd come through for me brother. How much did you end up paying for shipment on the dogbones? And does the stealer really want $186 each???

BigKriss
02-20-2006, 01:52 AM
Yeah the prices would be right when I emailed them or rang them. I always ring up BMW and then check the BMA prices. I don't know how much shipping was, I bought a few other items also and it was all shipped together. Patrick should be able to quote you though. GST and duty is now applied for goods over aus$1000, untill november it was aus$250.

Toeks
02-26-2006, 03:40 PM
I'd say your front dampers (shocks) are baked. I had the same thing when one of my Konis barfed its lifeblood. Every little sharp bump would shake the car and steering wheel but the car never had that floaty effect you see on others with lower spring rates when their shocks fail.
Took it too a suspension shop and they confirmed, shocks are worn and bushings need replacing. I want to keep the feel of the stock e34, comfortable ride. So I'm not gonna put in koni's etc. If I lower the springs, what kind of effect will it have? And as far as bushings are concerned, just OE replacements?