PDA

View Full Version : Help me remedy this oil leak!

Al Gray
05-15-2005, 10:44 AM
I think I have finally pinpointed where this oil leak is coming from on my 1992 525i. It appears to be dripping from the area where the oil pickup is located on the oil pan but just above it. There appears to be a line going from the pickup up the side of the oil pan. Unfortunately the cross member is in my vision line. Has anyone had any experience with this type of leak and if so how did you fix it. I have already replaced the oil cannister gasket so I know it is not that. Any help would be appreciated.

Also, today I am changing the transmission fluid and the trans filter. I have always had a slight drip from that area and I am baffled as to how to correct it. When I put the new trans oil pan gasket on I know it is critical not to over tighten the bolts. I have a torque wrench to make sure that the bolts are evenly tightened. What torque setting should I use for these bolts to insure that I have no leaks?

ryan roopnarine
05-15-2005, 01:38 PM
I think I have finally pinpointed where this oil leak is coming from on my 1992 525i. It appears to be dripping from the area where the oil pickup is located on the oil pan but just above it. There appears to be a line going from the pickup up the side of the oil pan. Unfortunately the cross member is in my vision line. Has anyone had any experience with this type of leak and if so how did you fix it. I have already replaced the oil cannister gasket so I know it is not that. Any help would be appreciated.

Also, today I am changing the transmission fluid and the trans filter. I have always had a slight drip from that area and I am baffled as to how to correct it. When I put the new trans oil pan gasket on I know it is critical not to over tighten the bolts. I have a torque wrench to make sure that the bolts are evenly tightened. What torque setting should I use for these bolts to insure that I have no leaks?

i guess you are saying that it isn't from the oil level sensor gasket? im sorry, i have troubles trying to figure out what you are trying to say.

about the transmission....are you certain that none of the bolts down there are not stripped? it will leak if more than one or so is loose because of stripped bolts.....you seem like a handy guy, you did your guibo and a writeup before. if you think that one or more is stripped, i'd go to a good parts store and get a helicoil set for the bolts and do it when the pan is off.

winfred
05-15-2005, 01:58 PM
if it's in the area of the oil filter housing look over the housing for leaks, theres a couple plugs in it that can and do leak, some have replacable o-rings and some don't and a new housing is needed, it all depends on what housing came in your car

Al Gray
05-15-2005, 02:19 PM
Per your help and instructions a few months back, I replaced the oil filter housing gasket that mounts to the block. I have the non-VANOs 525i and the oil appears to be running down (slowly) the side of the oil pan where the oil pick-up is located. Even after I replaced the gasket your saying that there could be other leaks that could be causing my oil leak. I will have to find some diagrams. My Bentley manual doesn't say anything about this.

if it's in the area of the oil filter housing look over the housing for leaks, theres a couple plugs in it that can and do leak, some have replacable o-rings and some don't and a new housing is needed, it all depends on what housing came in your car

winfred
05-15-2005, 02:29 PM
it's something on the housing itself that's not normally serviced