PDA

View Full Version : really stupid newbe question

guinness
05-14-2005, 07:11 AM
The bars indicating servicing are going down (2 so far) should I wait till the yellow bar goes until I change the oil? and is there anything else I need to do? also how do I zero it back out after I do the work?
Thanks in advance
Jim

Mitch90535im
05-14-2005, 07:30 AM
Newbie questions aren't stupid, but lots of the old-timers around here would prefer if you at least try searching the archives or googling before asking questions.

You'll get many different opinions on the oil change question. I tend to change oil and filter ever 3,000 miles regardless of the lights but I'm running Castrol GTX. The Synthetic guys probably run 5,000 miles or more between changes. (BTW the lights are really 2 sets of lights: 1) oil service and 2) insection) There is a tool available to reset, but it's much cheaper to simply jump the correct connectors in the diagnostics port with a short piece of wire. I don't remember the procedure off the top of my head, but if you search the archives, you should find it.

BigKriss
05-14-2005, 08:01 AM
The bars indicating servicing are going down (2 so far) should I wait till the yellow bar goes until I change the oil?

The service lights give you an indicator of when you should change the oil. I would just look how many miles you have done, and change it according to your own predetermined schedule. 5,000 miles between oil changes for synthetic seems right.

and is there anything else I need to do? also how do I zero it back out after I do the work?

hmmmm.. install a new oil filter also. For resetting the lights, look here (it was recently discussed).

http://www.bimmer.info/forum/showthread.php?t=11643

guinness
05-14-2005, 08:38 AM
Thanks all, guess I should've looked in the archives.

Paul in NZ
05-14-2005, 04:29 PM
i run synthetic and run the full service interval.However i dont do stop start stuff ....if i used dino i would change mid interval with filter

632 Regal
05-14-2005, 07:03 PM
you can read up on the reset procedure on Brunos site, while your there read up on the inspections (I think he has them there).