PDA

View Full Version : Question about E34 Keys

oldskoollove
05-13-2005, 01:58 PM
greetings all,

so this weekend i will become the proud owner of a 1989 bmw 535i, 5spd. . .i spent all this week reading up on the e34 and starting out as at least a somewhat educated owner. i've been amusing myself by looking on e-bay for random e34 offerings and came across an uncut e36 key (the keys that i will inheret are a rag tag bunch). the seller advertised that he thinks they MIGHT fit an e34, i'm not trying to take his word. but that brought up a question about parts from/for other bmw models that may fit the e34. so how would i verify this key possibility and for the future where should i look to figure out if something may or may not fit the car.

thanks in advance for your advice.

l

Blitzkrieg Bob
05-13-2005, 02:24 PM
Make sure it look exactly like your key.

Do you have the side winder style?

oldskoollove
05-13-2005, 02:36 PM
Make sure it look exactly like your key.

Do you have the side winder style?

i'm don't rememeber the keys exactly, but i believe they resembled yours as well as one that had the red light in the key fobe. . .but i am curious if i can go with something like the one being listed on ebay which is so much nicer.

http://i1.ebayimg.com/03/i/01/a7/20/76_1_b.JPG

Blitzkrieg Bob
05-13-2005, 02:42 PM
Just make sure that if you have the Huff side winder style with the flat tip & rear notch, you get that blank.

You will also have to find a lock shop that can cut it.
Mine charged $35.00

oldskoollove
05-13-2005, 02:58 PM
Just make sure that if you have the Huff side winder style with the flat tip & rear notch, you get that blank.

You will also have to find a lock shop that can cut it.
Mine charged $35.00

huff side winder? i think i understand the flat tip and rear notch reference. i'm assuming that the key that you showed me wouldn't have been one?

l

Blitzkrieg Bob
05-13-2005, 03:02 PM
Once it is cut, it will have all four sides grooved with the spine remaining like a blade. (original blank profile)

oldskoollove
05-13-2005, 03:18 PM
Once it is cut, it will have all four sides grooved with the spine remaining like a blade. (original blank profile)

thanks this is most helpful i'm asking the seller now.

blessings,

l

Qsilver7
05-13-2005, 03:28 PM
... so how would i verify this key possibility and for the future where should i look to figure out if something may or may not fit the car. thanks in advance for your advice.
BMW online parts database: http://www.realoem.com/bmw

...save it to your favorites folder (bookmark it)...its an invaluable site for part numbers, wholesale part prices, diagrams that illustrate how stuff goes together, part info (like wheel offset, width, height).

For example...the e34 used different keys during its production run depending on model. The V8s (530i/540i) used a fat head black key...and the 540i (1994 model year) used a different anti theft system (DWA) instead of EWS II. Also starting in model year 1994...driveway protection feature became standard across several new series incl the e34. Driveway protection safety feature now not only secures the doors etc but now disables the ignition and fuel delivery system when the car has been double locked. So no, the e36 key may not work in your 1989 535i...but you can check and compare it to the availble keys shown in the diagram from the online database (keys #2-#5): http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts.do?model=HD23&mospid=47408&btnr=41_0044&hg=41&fg=40

Note: only the items that show up in the parts index below the diagram are available for your 1989 535i. The e36 you refered to may use some of the keys from group #21...those keys aren't for the early model e34s. And only the e34 V8s use the keys from group #7 or #18.

You could buy one of the other keys that have the remote transponder/chip embedded within...but you'd be paying for something that you can't use. Even if you purchase a blank one from eBay or the e36 owner...by the time you find someone who can cut the key correctly for you...you'll have probably paid more than just ordering one cut from your car's VIN by your local BMW dealer. Again, check out the link to the key diagram above for your car and order accordingly...don't let them try to sell you one of the more expensive keys...they won't work in your 89. ;)

DanH
05-13-2005, 03:32 PM
I ordered a pre-cut key from the dealer and i think it was less than $30 total, so it might pay to check there first instead of spending more at locksmith shop.

You just need to give them your VIN and show them the title to prove you own the car.

DanH
05-13-2005, 03:41 PM
Also, the new key from the dealer looked nothing like the cut on the old one I had, but they both work!

One strange thing is that the old key will deadbolt lock/unlock the doors only from the passenger side, and the new key will only do that from the drivers side. Normal locking works the same from both doors, the trunk, and ignition.

oldskoollove
05-13-2005, 03:48 PM
BMW online parts database: http://www.realoem.com/bmw

...save it to your favorites folder (bookmark it)...its an invaluable site for part numbers, wholesale part prices, diagrams that illustrate how stuff goes together, part info (like wheel offset, width, height).

For example...the e34 used different keys during its production run depending on model. The V8s (530i/540i) used a fat head black key...and the 540i (1994 model year) used a different anti theft system (DWA) instead of EWS II. Also starting in model year 1994...driveway protection feature became standard across several new series incl the e34. Driveway protection safety feature now not only secures the doors etc but now disables the ignition and fuel delivery system when the car has been double locked. So no, the e36 key may not work in your 1989 535i...but you can check and compare it to the availble keys shown in the diagram from the online database (keys #2-#5): http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts.do?model=HD23&mospid=47408&btnr=41_0044&hg=41&fg=40

Note: only the items that show up in the parts index below the diagram are available for your 1989 535i. The e36 you refered to may use some of the keys from group #21...those keys aren't for the early model e34s. And only the e34 V8s use the keys from group #7 or #18.

You could buy one of the other keys that have the remote transponder/chip embedded within...but you'd be paying for something that you can't use. Even if you purchase a blank one from eBay or the e36 owner...by the time you find someone who can cut the key correctly for you...you'll have probably paid more than just ordering one cut from your car's VIN by your local BMW dealer. Again, check out the link to the key diagram above for your car and order accordingly...don't let them try to sell you one of the more expensive keys...they won't work in your 89. ;)

thanks for the feedback.

:D so i'm looking at the diagram and there is no indication what year or model the key is good for. i just says e34 535i. . .the key that i will inheret will be assembly 2 (or maybe it was 14). i wasn't so much confused about how to get an exact replica of the oem key. . .i guess i was being what my mother would call fast and wanting the folding key with the bmw insignia at what seems like a reasonable price. . .i just wasn't sure if when i took the blank key to the dealer or lock smith to be cut they would tell me that i had a really really nice worthless show piece.

l

Blitzkrieg Bob
05-13-2005, 04:24 PM
and match the key blade with the blank.

The ETK shows the many styles, but does little to show the shape of the key blade.

Most of the features from year to year are on the lock/car side of the application, so most of the blanks will still work.

But as was said, do not pay for features that you don't have, all the bells and whistles may require retrofit systems and/or coding. $$$$

I have bought the basic blank for a back up at home and a lighted for daily use, and was considering a filp too, but those look kind of big.

Qsilver7
05-13-2005, 04:26 PM
thanks for the feedback.

:D so i'm looking at the diagram and there is no indication what year or model the key is good for. i just says e34 535i. . .l

If you look at the part index (below the diagram)...and look in the supplment columns (FROM & UP TO)...it tells you what years the keys are "good for". Some are good for up to 1/1995 mfg date and some are good for 9/1991-1/1995.

If you go back to that diagram...the links are still "live" and you can click on select another car to be more specific or use your car's VIN. I went with the info you gave in your first post...a 1989 535i...so that was the information I chose to enter and work my way to the key diagrams.

You can also enter info for the year/model e36 the guy is trying to sell you and work your way back to (main group) BODYWORK & (subgroup) FRONT DOOR...then click on the key diagram to see if it uses the same key(s)

Qube
05-13-2005, 04:38 PM
Went to Stealer and they wanted $60CAD for master, and $30CAD for valet (plus 15% tax) :(

oldskoollove
05-14-2005, 06:19 AM
If you look at the part index (below the diagram)...and look in the supplment columns (FROM & UP TO)...it tells you what years the keys are "good for". Some are good for up to 1/1995 mfg date and some are good for 9/1991-1/1995.

If you go back to that diagram...the links are still "live" and you can click on select another car to be more specific or use your car's VIN. I went with the info you gave in your first post...a 1989 535i...so that was the information I chose to enter and work my way to the key diagrams.

You can also enter info for the year/model e36 the guy is trying to sell you and work your way back to (main group) BODYWORK & (subgroup) FRONT DOOR...then click on the key diagram to see if it uses the same key(s)

ohhhhhhhhh thanks brethren. . .i feel quite silly now. . .big master's student who don't know how to read a table. . .AWFUL!