PDA

View Full Version : Need your help, re: A/C

TUD
05-13-2005, 10:57 AM
Well, the compressor clutch locked up yesterday afternoon in 90 degree weather. My '92 525i is R12 so it will have to be converted to R134a. Any recommendations on what I should replace other than the compressor, drier, and a conversation kit? Also are there any specific manufactures I should consider when selecting a compressor?

shogun
05-13-2005, 11:08 AM
There is no absolute need to change the compressor. Check this one out
http://shrubbery.student.utwente.nl/johan/aircon_R134a/aircon_R134a.html

TUD
05-13-2005, 11:19 AM
There is no absolute need to change the compressor. Check this one out
http://shrubbery.student.utwente.nl/johan/aircon_R134a/aircon_R134a.html

I viewed that, but I did not see anything about a locked compressor due to the clutch. The system was fine until the compressor clutch failed. I have been told by serveral people including a few former BMW dealer Techs that you are better off to replace the compressor than repair the clutch.

Bellicose Right Winger
05-13-2005, 11:56 AM
It's a judgement call and a lot depends if you're providing the labor. If the system has been leakfree I think I'd change the clutch. At a minimum I'd remove the belt and see if the pulley spins free. If it doesn't you may only need a clutch bearing. Clutch bearing replacement is less expensive then a new clutch, and MUCH less expensive then new compressor. It's a DIY job that can be done without having to discharging refrigerant, replace dryer, evacuate system and recharge.

Paul Shovestul

I viewed that, but I did not see anything about a locked compressor due to the clutch. The system was fine until the compressor clutch failed. I have been told by serveral people including a few former BMW dealer Techs that you are better off to replace the compressor than repair the clutch.

TUD
05-13-2005, 01:31 PM
It's a judgement call and a lot depends if you're providing the labor. If the system has been leakfree I think I'd change the clutch. At a minimum I'd remove the belt and see if the pulley spins free. If it doesn't you may only need a clutch bearing. Clutch bearing replacement is less expensive then a new clutch, and MUCH less expensive then new compressor. It's a DIY job that can be done without having to discharging refrigerant, replace dryer, evacuate system and recharge.

Paul Shovestul

I don't think it will spin as the car would not start until my BMW dealer cut the belt off. It just so happens that the clutch locked up while I was at the dealer. :(

TUD
05-14-2005, 01:22 PM
Decided to just go with the BMW reman compressor, new drier, retro-kit, and bracket.

PeterInSTL
06-28-2005, 09:22 PM
Can Anyone tell me where I can ourchase the Conversion kit that includes the receiver drier? Got a 1991 525i with r-12

winfred
06-28-2005, 09:32 PM
the trick on replacing just the clutch, IF you can find one it probably cost as much as a reman compressor and now you are waiting for your old compressor to crap and making that expensive clutch useless. that or when the clutch took a dump it chewed up the snout of the compressor