PDA

View Full Version : Power Window Problems

ChefJRD
05-12-2005, 10:40 PM
I've got a problem with my left rear power window on my '95 525i that just popped up today: it'll go down, but not up. It goes down just fine, but when you try to raise it again, it only moves a few millimeters and all you hear is a "pop-pop-pop" from behind the door.

The dealer thought it was the regulator, so I got a new one but left it in the packaging until I knew I needed it. With the door panel removed, it is possible to raise the window by pushing it up at the same time the button is pushed, though it seems to take a lot of force. After taking out the old regulator and motor, I couldn't see any problems with the teeth, so I cleaned out both parts and re-greased them, thinking that the load on the motor was too much. But after reinstalling everything, I've still got the same problem.

It's tough to see the teeth when installed, so I can't tell if the motor gear is rotating and missing notches on the regulator or if the the motor gear is moving at all. Since the regulator notches look fine to me, I'm thinking it's the motor. Any ideas??

And this after I spend all day driving cars at the GM Autoshow in Motion!! The 5-series was the best luxury car there, the new Corvette is amazing and the new Cadillac CTS V-Series is FAST!!

632 Regal
05-12-2005, 10:43 PM
search for window regulater, theres a few write ups on this where inside there is something that breaks, sorry I dont have the link.

ilya
05-13-2005, 12:02 AM
if the motor is moving, you might just be out of lubricant on the window track
i had a very similar problem.. the window would go down, but when i tried to put it up it would "pop" and stop. the pop was from the plastic piece that holds the big cross (that supports the window) to the metal track. it kept popping out of place, because there was no lubrication on the track itself.

632 Regal
05-13-2005, 09:15 AM
about the innerd plastic stuff breaking the tabs or something?

if the motor is moving, you might just be out of lubricant on the window track
i had a very similar problem.. the window would go down, but when i tried to put it up it would "pop" and stop. the pop was from the plastic piece that holds the big cross (that supports the window) to the metal track. it kept popping out of place, because there was no lubrication on the track itself.

Anthony (M5 in Calgary)
05-13-2005, 09:20 AM
about the innerd plastic stuff breaking the tabs or something?

Yeah. The motor has a worm gear cut into its shaft. This worm drives a plastic ring gear. The teeth of the ring gear may be fracked. BillR has a bunch of good pix.