PDA

View Full Version : Quick Radio Wiring Question - Power Antenna

Qube
05-12-2005, 08:01 PM
Just bought a Sony head unit and installed. Of course I have some wiring left over like the ATT and ground wires... but there is a blue "Power Antenna Control Lead +12v".

Supposedly "when your car has built-in AM/FM antenna in the rear/side glass, connect the power antenna control lead or the accessory power input lead to the power terminal of the existing antenna booster. For details, consult your dealer".

So my question is... do I need to connect this anywhere? ... and no, I don't have a power antenna.

1989 e34 535iM

winfred
05-12-2005, 08:24 PM
it's not needed for the functioning of the radio, but if you are using the factory amp/wiring you will probably need it to turn on the amp (usually the white wire but not allways)

Qube
05-12-2005, 08:50 PM
Granted if the amp wasn't powered, then I should have no audio, right? Since everything sounds 'technically' right, I can leave it out then? :)

The sad part is I STILL can't find a good (read: accurate) wiring diagram (forum and online). The original radio was hard wired :(

winfred
05-12-2005, 09:04 PM
pm me your e-mail address and ill send you the 4 pages from the factory etm, they are screen shots of the pdf

winfred
05-12-2005, 10:20 PM
you got mail

Mobius
05-12-2005, 11:47 PM
Yeah.

Some decks have seperate amp and power antenna leads, and some combine them (since they serve the same purpose - to trigger another device to turn on when the deck is on). Decks with a seperate antenna lead will only power the antenna lead when the deck is on 'radio' (usually).

I know on my car, I had to wire the antenna lead to the factory harness to trigger the factory radio antenna amplifier. Isn't there a blue or blue/white lead coming off the wiring harness kit?

uscharalph
07-01-2005, 12:55 AM
So that's what that blue wire is.