PDA

View Full Version : transmission error

yolusola
05-12-2005, 04:30 PM
hi guys, i posted a thread earlier saying that i kept on getting the gawd awful trans program error, i had the transmission serviced, had the speed sensor replaced but still having the same problem with the transmission, please tell me what else i can do to solve this problem, i am no tlooking forward to having to rebuild the transmisssion, for i dont have that kind of money. thanks.

RobPatt
05-12-2005, 05:51 PM
1. read about the problem on www.bmwe34.net - it's there somewhere under 'trans program'. That'll take care of nearly all possibilities.
2. pull a diag error message from the computer - may/probably need indy mechanic/dealer to do so... see what the stored code/message is for the tranny... clear the error so you know it's gone... drive few more days, next time you get ding/bong and tranny prog message, pull the code again. Hopefully this is a reliable error message and can give you some info.
3. low battery/weak alternator has ill effect, can gen bogus error msg.

i also had this and got through it by doing above.... for me replaced fluid pressure regulator - that was the error message, and if I recall I found a service bulletin on it too (I think).

good luck,
Rob.

hi guys, i posted a thread earlier saying that i kept on getting the gawd awful trans program error, i had the transmission serviced, had the speed sensor replaced but still having the same problem with the transmission, please tell me what else i can do to solve this problem, i am no tlooking forward to having to rebuild the transmisssion, for i dont have that kind of money. thanks.

Kalevera
05-12-2005, 07:20 PM
What year/car?

yolusola
05-12-2005, 08:18 PM
1989 535i

Kalevera
05-12-2005, 08:32 PM
Check the neutral position switch (do a search -- we talked about it last week). It can get gunked up. I'm not sure if it'll cause the Trans Program error with the 4hp-22 that's in your car, but it could. The only time I've ever seen the trans program error on my car ('90 535, same trans) is when the A clutchpack blew out, car didn't move anywhere, and the $tealership replaced the trans under warranty.

The 4hp-22 is a quirky, shitty transmission. Great for old people, not good for me. Just MHO.

best, whit