PDA

View Full Version : Trunk lock will not work! HELP!

patrick37
05-12-2005, 03:34 PM
Hello, this is my first post, and after reading through the archives, I cannot find anything relating to my problem. Never had any problems with the trunk of my 525i (1995). The other night, I went to put some stuff in the trunk. Now the trunk will not shut, or lock , or anything. It stays cracked open. I have tried slamming it hard, playing with the locks, etc. Nothing is working. Any help is greatly appreciated, because I need to get this fixed ASAP! I dont have the money to go to the stealer, and I am kind of stuck here.
THANK YOU!
Patrick

Anthony (M5 in Calgary)
05-12-2005, 03:40 PM
Hello, this is my first post, and after reading through the archives, I cannot find anything relating to my problem. Never had any problems with the trunk of my 525i (1995). The other night, I went to put some stuff in the trunk. Now the trunk will not shut, or lock , or anything. It stays cracked open. I have tried slamming it hard, playing with the locks, etc. Nothing is working. Any help is greatly appreciated, because I need to get this fixed ASAP! I dont have the money to go to the stealer, and I am kind of stuck here.
THANK YOU!
Patrick

...has torn away from the metal. Peel back the liner and look for cracks around the mounting bolts. This is not an uncommon problem.

Anthony

mikey535im
05-12-2005, 03:52 PM
Patrick,
Just a thought....perhaps the trunk lock mechanism is in the locked mode and the key in the trunk will not release it. Try the key in one of the doors (lock/unlock) and see if it releases.
HTH
Mike

Kalevera
05-12-2005, 03:52 PM
Be sure to visually inspect the wiring that runs from the trunk lid to the rest of the car. Years of opening and slamming the lid will do a lot of bad things to plastic sheathed wiring.

best, whit

EDIT: I'm an idiot and didn't completely read/process the original post. Please disregard my tomfoolery.

genphreak
05-12-2005, 09:35 PM
The other night, I went to put some stuff in the trunk. Now the trunk will not shut, or lock , or anything. It stays cracked open... Perhaps the catch mechanism is closed: To be clear, the catch is essentially a swinging finger that engages with the loop on the car's frame to hold the bootlid closed. If the finger swings to the closed position whilst the boot is open it won't close until you press the lock button to open it. Happened to me once when I was using a rope to hold down the boot carrying a big load. You can lock the 'finger' closed with your own finger to get it to close around the rope- handy for holding the lid down. To unlock the finger you have to press the boot open button (and it will need to be unlocked).

If somehow you knocked the finger closed removing things from the boot, this will happen. Bashing the boot will damage the finger, so maybe now you need a new catch. It may also move the loop on its adjusters... carefully inspect both to see what is happening!

Is the finger closed? I doubt it can be the lock from what you describe. :) GP

Gene in NC
11-06-2005, 09:19 PM
genphreak is right! Weak trunk strut and parked uphill combined to slam trunk shut. This put the latch in the closed or latched or hook position. Tried electric open at the trunk. No help.

To bimmier.info. Search, found, pushed "open trunk" button and the latch released. Thanks to an effective search engine, and knowledgeable posters another problem is solved.

Thanks to all.

Gene

uscharalph
11-07-2005, 12:56 AM
genphreak is right! Weak trunk strut and parked uphill combined to slam trunk shut. This put the latch in the closed or latched or hook position. Tried electric open at the trunk. No help.

To bimmier.info. Search, found, pushed "open trunk" button and the latch released. Thanks to an effective search engine, and knowledgeable posters another problem is solved.

Thanks to all.

Gene
Good research!! LOL!!