PDA

View Full Version : Tire wear and the "shimmy"

Jason
05-12-2005, 09:59 AM
I have contisports that are due for a change and I'm experiencing the famous shimmy at 50-60, i have hubcentric rings, I just recently put the style 5s back on and havent driven the car much so im pretty sure the wheels didnt go out of balance over the winter (there was no shimmy w/ the stockers) and the control arms have about 40k on them. shocks and mounts (recently replaced) are fine. Have i effectively narrowed it down, or have i overlooked something?

DaCan23
05-12-2005, 01:57 PM
In addition to lookin at suspension components, I always say check the tire pressure and possibility of a bent rim. My Conti ExtremeContacts shimmy with low psi

Jason
05-12-2005, 02:01 PM
Filled them to 38 psi, I was wondering if the wear strips could be the problem

Tiger
05-12-2005, 02:44 PM
Is it possible one of your stick-on wheel weight fallen off?

632 Regal
05-12-2005, 04:08 PM
dirt on the back of the rim? happens to me ALL the time.

byurko
05-12-2005, 04:18 PM
Putting larger rims on seems to magnify a problem you wouldn't normally feel riding on the stockers... It just shows how sensitive the E34 suspension is!

Bryan

Kalevera
05-12-2005, 04:24 PM
Depending on how old the thrust arm bushings are, I can see how lifting the front of the car to swap wheels could cause a worn bushing to finally go. I think this has even happened to Jon K.

Best, whit

Anthony (M5 in Calgary)
05-12-2005, 04:42 PM
Depending on how old the thrust arm bushings are, I can see how lifting the front of the car to swap wheels could cause a worn bushing to finally go. I think this has even happened to Jon K.

Best, whit

Lift the car and the bushings twist to the extreme and barf their fluid. Use M5 bushings, you won't regret it - stiffest of the lot. ;)

Anthony

Jon K
05-12-2005, 06:04 PM

Best, whit

Nah not me, i replaced my arms and bushings because they just failed...

jplacson
05-12-2005, 08:34 PM
other suspension components... tie rods, links, sway bars...

another could be warped rotors...

henryw525i
05-12-2005, 09:45 PM
I'm running conti sport contact II's and if they have low psi in them they shimmy like a mother F**
I did a little experiment when they had low psi...i had a friend turn the wheel of the car and the flex in the sidewall was huge!! They have been getting a worse shimmy as I have been wearing them down.

SO yeah just jack up the PSI and see if that gives you any relief