PDA

View Full Version : Got rear ended.

Rory535i
05-12-2005, 07:29 AM
Was driving home tonight and the traffic was pretty heavy so i decided to take the backroads home. anyway that didn't help as the traffic was still bumper to bumper. I was going through an intersection and all of a sudden the car in front slammed on the anchors. I managed to stop in time and thought all was well untill i heard the worst sound you could possibly hear at a time like that...screeching tires...bang! a yellow toyota hi-lux had just ploughed straight up my arse and then pushed me into the car in front. luckily that was a hi-lux as well so i went straight under it and got away with only scratches to the hood. as for the one that hit me, well it's a total write off. it's unrecognisable from the front and I was amazed at how strong the rear of my bmw was. two broken lights, busted tailgate, busted rear panel, bumper has a few scratches and there doesn't appear to be any damage to the trunk floor. it was nearly dark though so I didn't get a chance to have a proper look. there's bound to be more as the guy hit me at about 30mph. his was a low-rider hi-lux so he hit me quite low. the car's currently at the insurance company's asessment yard so I won't know the extent of the damage for a while yet. i'm also suffering from some mild whiplash but that's besides the point! what about my poor car! what is it lately with all the board members' cars getting smashed up!? it's not on.

BigKriss
05-12-2005, 07:37 AM
**** thats bad luck dude. make sure the prick who rammed up your arse, pay for the car that you hit.

remember you car's worth at least aus$20,000, i hope you work it out okay, with the insurance and all. good luck - i'm very sorry to hear it. at least u didn'r run up someone else's arse.

epj3
05-12-2005, 08:33 AM
Good luck man, I hope they don't total it!

mattyb
05-12-2005, 11:36 AM
happened to me a couple of months ago. i heard that in aus nrma now dont give u a choice of repairer and repairers only quote from digital pics. They dont even get to lokk at the car, thats shite. if i had a garage i'd be with shannons.

mattyb
05-12-2005, 11:38 AM
check those bloody clips they use to hold the mud gaurds on with . they are never the same when they are pulled off.

DaCan23
05-12-2005, 02:00 PM
I got rear ended today too!! Except it was a 4 story parking garage and while parking the wall jumped out an hit me.... luckily no damage except for a few scraps on the black trim.... the body shop would be pissed if I messed up the new bumber cover this quickly...

I had missed a train drove to another station and wasnt that awake... LOL

DaCan23
05-12-2005, 02:02 PM
Hopefully its repairable and not scrapped... well at least u can sue for the whiplash to get some $$ to find another

myles
05-12-2005, 04:39 PM
Sorry to hear that Rory. I hope it can all be repaired and your neck is better soon.

Derek A.
05-12-2005, 06:24 PM
WTF is it with all the e34 accidents lately???? You guys are making me nervouse. I bought the Volvo wagon for winter duty - may have to drive it this summer until this wave of e34 accidents is over with !!!

TheDuke
05-12-2005, 07:21 PM
Seriously what is going on??? In last two or three weeks I had a few close ones. What’s wrong with people these days, Must be summer destruction virus or something.

Paul in NZ
05-12-2005, 07:31 PM
wow thats not it its winter down here(nearly)My car has vey very little damage it turns out..sorry rory,hope it all works out for you

Rory535i
05-12-2005, 08:27 PM
thanks guys. yeah it wasn't my day at all. about an hour before hand i just avoided an identical accident. the car in front slammed the brakes on and i looked in the rear view mirror and saw the car behind wasn't paying attention so i swerved onto the hard shoulder and all of a sudden he locked up and slid straight into the slot where i would have been. I thought i was lucky until i finally did get hit! there must be someone out there with a hatred for E34's and is conscripting people around the world to destroy them. anyway i'm getting pics taken today hopefully so i'll let u guys see the damage. i'm gonna put up a strong fight with the insurance company.

genphreak
05-12-2005, 08:53 PM
I reckon a Hilux at 30mph will have upset the rear quarter panels enough to ensure a write-off. Your challenge is to make sure they pay for all the blood sweat and tears you've put in, let alone the parts you bought. That will make them think twice if the damage isn't that great.

As a rule here in Oz any damage beyond 30% of the insured value will ensure a write-off. You have to make sure you go buy it back at Auction... then buy another and end up with a parts car or one you can fix and sell (for the effort of all the messing around). Unless your policy is agreed value, this is the best outcome you can hope for. Happened to me once, got my e28 535 back for $1000 which had only $3000 worth of damage. They paid me $7000 for it (all USD), but I couldn't insure it with them again... it wasn't such a bad thing for me, I had already bought a new bunch of problems with my E34 so was keen to sell it anyway. Perhaps its a good time to go V8?
Best of luck Rory... :( GP

Qube
05-12-2005, 09:25 PM
Yep. I was rear ended a few days back as well. No visible damage... just his paint left on mine :) Damn that bumper is SOLID!

Doesn't the e34 have absorbers on the bumper for impact?

Blitzkrieg Bob
05-12-2005, 09:34 PM
None other than Chris Bangle himself.

He is covertly funneling BMW funds to unfurl a sinister plot to wipe the E34 off the face of the earth and make way for his demented plan for world domination.

Karl
05-12-2005, 10:28 PM
One of the things I'm always careful of is the car behind me. Learned that lesson the same way you did. I know I can stop quicker than the SUV behind me, even if the driver is alert and not on the phone.

Hope things work out OK for you.

Rory535i
05-13-2005, 12:07 AM
ok got some pics online. after seeing the car in daylight i was pleasantly suprised to see that the damage isn't as bad as i initially thought. It was the fact that the other guy's car was a write off that i expected mine to be much the same. also the shock of the whole thing had me thinking all sorts. i could have sworn all my lights were busted but it turns out only one is. i'm defo gonna take it to BMW to get it repaired now as it's not going to be as expensive as expected. anyway here's a link...

http://www.cardomain.com/memberpage/820054/2