PDA

View Full Version : What steering wheels fit E34?

ejmpower
05-12-2005, 01:00 AM
Found out my airbag doesnt work, dont want to spend the money to fix it cause I dont like the airbag wheel, what other wheels fit, and I mean actually work, as in the wheel locking mechanism still work when you take the key out of the ignition

JAlfredPrufrock
05-12-2005, 02:46 AM
You don't want an airbag?

Zeuk in Oz
05-12-2005, 02:53 AM
Found out my airbag doesnt work

If it is not a rude question, how did you find this out ? Stay with an airbag wheel - MHO. :)

SharkmanBMW
08-14-2005, 05:18 PM
are you certain you don't want an airbag???????
it would have saved me a lot of pain and broken bones and a damaged brain.
smarten up, you only have one chance.

Interceptor
08-14-2005, 05:31 PM
Found out my airbag doesnt work, dont want to spend the money to fix it cause I dont like the airbag wheel, what other wheels fit, and I mean actually work, as in the wheel locking mechanism still work when you take the key out of the ignition
Depends what year your car is. I think they changed the size of the mounting part somewhere in the 1990.

BMWE34M5
08-14-2005, 05:47 PM
Most Momo steering wheels will fit-you just have to buy the correct hub adaptor.I have a Momo Competition steering wheel in my M5.

brodee
08-14-2005, 07:57 PM
I've read a lot about the early air bag wheels in e30's ('90-'91). It talks about them being a bad design and even nicknamed bombs. A lot of people take them off these cars because they feel they are safer without the bag than to have a 15 year old unit. Is this also the case with the early e34's? How long is an airbag expected to last before it should be replaced? It makes since to me that these things shouldn't be trusted forever and there is probably a time to replace them.

emw525E34
08-14-2005, 10:24 PM
Wow. My cup of tea. Here goes:

If you have M20 engined car (88-90), all E30, E28, E31 wheels fits. non-airbag.

If you have M50 engined cars from 92 to 95. E36 and E36M3 fits. E46 wheels will need modification but fits, see how I did it here:

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/824698/10
Ask me a specific question, I shall answer.

stx133
08-14-2005, 11:12 PM
I have read about airbags in cars from the 60s being tested when the caes are scrapped and they working fine. the airbags are a sealed unit requiring no maintenance, assuming that the sensors etc are not damaged. american airbags are more aggressive than australian airbags due to the different laws regarding seatbelts. they have been compulsary here for a long time and are still 'optional' in some states. therefore the airbag in US cars must take the entire weight of the occupant in the event of a collision, not just supplimenting the seatbelt and protecting the face from the wheel.
Remember, it is not the fall that kills you, it it the impact on the rocks at the bottom.