PDA

View Full Version : BMW Radio code

ilya
05-12-2005, 12:42 AM
i took out the original BMW stereo from my 95 525i about a year ago and put in an after market stereo. however, now i want to go back to the original and put in the after market one in the other car. as far as i remember, to turn the radio back on ill have to get a code to "activate" it. is that right? how do i get one? do i have to go to a dealer (and pay them?) for this or is it something i can find somewhere based on the VIN?

uscharalph
05-12-2005, 01:36 AM
The local dealer said I just needed the serial number for the radio. Some require some sort of proof of ownership (Car or radio?). I believe mine was a 5 digit code punched into the radio inself, using the preset buttons.

wat_sup2002
05-12-2005, 01:37 AM
do you promis you didnt nick it?

ilya
05-12-2005, 12:08 PM
lol yes i definitely promis that.
i bought the car in August from a local car dealer (not BMW specific). the connection between the radio and the cd changer wasnt plugged in all the way, so i took the radio out to fix it. then i realized i might as well install the after market stereo from my old car, so i did that. now, however, the cd player in my mom's car is broken and she is stuck with nothing but radio (and let me tell you, radio here sucks) so i want to put my panasonic player in her car and put the original radio back in mine. that way, she'll have a cd player, and ill have a cd changer. plus, i think im gonna pick up an ipod with one of those FM transmitters and just listen to the music from that through the radio..

ilya
05-12-2005, 01:18 PM
Ah, got it. called the local BMW dealer, no questions asked they gave it to me over the phone. just had to give them the serial #

Anthony (M5 in Calgary)
05-12-2005, 01:49 PM
Ah, got it. called the local BMW dealer, no questions asked they gave it to me over the phone. just had to give them the serial #

Of course, these radios aren't worth stealing anymore...

Anthony

uscharalph
05-12-2005, 04:01 PM
Just as a side benefit, I like the fact that the red light blinks on the anti-theft radio. I wish the obc would also blink instead of remaining constant red, when a code is set. It might not stop a professional theif, but may have some effect on an amateur.

TheDuke
05-12-2005, 07:32 PM
Who would steal a tape player these days, unless it was a really desperate E34 owner :)