PDA

View Full Version : No Reverse Lights!!!

wat_sup2002
05-11-2005, 11:25 PM
how is everyone this lovly afternoon?
good. ummm, my reverse lights dont work on my new tail lights and its not the tail lights because i have put the old ones on and they dont work, and i have tested them with a volt meter and it reads Nil... i suspect its the 'sencer' on the gear box that relays the signal to the taillights to make the lights come on is broken. i must not have had them for a while!!! any way a few weeks back i asked a very brief question about the matter and was told the sencer is located under the car on the passengers side... i guess a brief answer for a brief question... what does it look like? and how can i fix it?
thanks everyone
-Richard

Javier
05-11-2005, 11:34 PM
shifter, below the console, that go to the switch, you can meter there and discard. Also search for Hinge in the forum, as the harness at the left trunk lid hinge may be damaged.

Javier

wat_sup2002
05-12-2005, 12:21 AM
yes its a 5 speed manual, opened up the consol, but can see a switch, what does it look like?

Javier
05-12-2005, 06:58 PM
look at the picture on this post.

http://www.bimmer.info/forum/showthread.php?t=9501

The blue and green wires are going to the switch, so if you unplug them and test with a continuity (ohm-meter) tester, you should notice it is working wile engaging/releasing reverse.

If switch is OK, should go and check trunk lid hinge, the forum is plenty of references to this issue.

Javier

Karl
05-12-2005, 10:38 PM
If switch is OK, should go and check trunk lid hinge, the forum is plenty of references to this issue.

Javier

And a thing that happened with a car of mine was the wiring from the transmission switch runs up into the car at the shift lever. The insulation chafed thru on the edge of that hole in the transmission hump and shorted. That blows a fuse and kills several things besides the lights.