PDA

View Full Version : OT: BMW on TV

BobbyB
05-11-2005, 07:04 PM
Don't know if this is relevant but tonight's episode of Lost on abc featured a very nice lady doing some performance driving in an E34. Namely some peel outs, drifiting and ramming through police cars.

It had a wide grille, was debadged and sounded like a 6. :D

Glad to see the E34 being pushed on screen!

Jon K
05-11-2005, 07:14 PM
Don't know if this is relevant but tonight's episode of Lost on abc featured a very nice lady doing some performance driving in an E34. Namely some peel outs, drifiting and ramming through police cars.

It had a wide grille, was debadged and sounded like a 6. :D

Glad to see the E34 being pushed on screen!

ok i'll say it first...

Ronin

ryan roopnarine
05-11-2005, 07:14 PM
i was waiting for somebody to bring up the topic of e34s in tv and film.....

im pretty perceptive about this, so im pretty sure i saw right...
but i coulda swore that the chief gangster's car in Run Lola Run was an e34. i know the movie is set in germany but its queer that that would be the vehicle that would be the pimp mobile, so to speak. it was either a e34 or an e34 made up to look like an e39, or an e39, but im pretty sure it was a body kitted', cleanly done 34. of all the cars they coulda picked, s600, a8, 750, its pretty fitting that they picked that. :D

Mobius
05-11-2005, 07:16 PM
Black E34s are the preferred vehicle of white-collar terrorism according to MacGuyver.

Didn't even realize it until I started watching reruns recently. Seriously, everyone who wants to kill MacGuyver drives my car. :)

ryan roopnarine
05-11-2005, 07:17 PM
ok i'll say it first...

Ronin

yeah, the best car chase movie ever.

"an ambush? you got ambushed by a fu**ing cup of coffee."

S8, e34 m5, both, at least nice lookin cars (not gonna say anything unkind about volkswagen...)

BobbyB
05-11-2005, 08:53 PM
i was waiting for somebody to bring up the topic of e34s in tv and film.....

im pretty perceptive about this, so im pretty sure i saw right...
but i coulda swore that the chief gangster's car in Run Lola Run was an e34. i know the movie is set in germany but its queer that that would be the vehicle that would be the pimp mobile, so to speak. it was either a e34 or an e34 made up to look like an e39, or an e39, but im pretty sure it was a body kitted', cleanly done 34. of all the cars they coulda picked, s600, a8, 750, its pretty fitting that they picked that. :D

Heres a link to a small collection of "bmw movie stars"
e34s seem to be in obscure movies

http://www.bmwinfo.com/507.html

ryan roopnarine
05-11-2005, 09:26 PM
Heres a link to a small collection of "bmw movie stars"
e34s seem to be in obscure movies

http://www.bmwinfo.com/507.html

yeah, that list is kinda off....it doesn't even mention the e34 M5 in ronin, and even john frankenheimer mentions the car deliberately in the director's commentary. i've seen "but im a cheerleader", i don't remember seeing one in it. run lola run isn't that obscure of a film, it won a bunch of awards....i'd say it is only as obscure as something like "amelie" or "city of god"...the story is creative, at least to me. i do remember seeing a 3 series in lola get into a car accident with some euro FWD car though, and a bunch of muscle men getting out of the 3...

winfred
05-11-2005, 09:37 PM
we (german auto recyclers) rented a wrecked 91 535 to a film crew that was filming this movie (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0197646/) because they didnt have the budget to wreck the at the time 2 year old 530ia for the drunken wreck, it was shot on north street in downtown baron rouge real ****ing late at night. they had the wrecker dump the 535 on it's roof and they scraped the badge off so it wouldn't be obvious that a 535 had stood in for the 530, that 535 "stunt car" is where the motor came from that powers my 535 now

winfred
05-11-2005, 09:44 PM
Not a horror movie......just a horror of a movie", 23 March 2003

Author: eazyguy62 from Wasco California

If ever I have seen a worse movie, I can't remember it. While browsing around a Video Store one day, my girlfriend picked this up out of the

bargain bin for about five bucks because she said that it looked like

it would be interesting and how could you go wrong for five dollars etc. All very well and good I suppose....but less than half an hour into this mess my girlfriend could stand it no more, and I had to literally force myself to sit there and watch this train wreck of a

movie. I would tell you about the acting, but there is no acting in this film....it's like watching pictures on a post card. I would tell you about the plot....but if I could do that, it would mean that I made sense out of this mess and would definitely be in need of some real help! There is no redeeming qualities in this film, and if you see it in the bargain bin on DVD, take it up to the clerk, chastise them for improper labeling, then have the clerk stick a Frisbee sticker on it.

we (german auto recyclers) rented a wrecked 91 535 to a film crew that was filming this movie (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0197646/) because they didnt have the budget to wreck the at the time 2 year old 530ia for the drunken wreck, it was shot on north street in downtown baron rouge real ****ing late at night. they had the wrecker dump the 535 on it's roof and they scraped the badge off so it wouldn't be obvious that a 535 had stood in for the 530, that 535 "stunt car" is where the motor came from that powers my 535 now

ryan roopnarine
05-11-2005, 09:46 PM
some of the comments for that movie are awesome, i remember looking at it the first time you pointed it out.

so winfred, you live in LA. when its wet out, do you just leave the e34 at home and take the fanboat to work? :D

winfred
05-11-2005, 09:57 PM
theres a couple streets here that you need a diesel with a snorkle, they have this charming asphalt type material with a large quanity of smooth pebbles that makes up almost all of the surface streets around here, it's sorta fun in the e30 as i can break em loose in 3rd by just gassing it at around 3600, i gave the bosses teenage kid a small lesson in drifting while picking up lunch after the last good rain :D

some of the comments for that movie are awesome, i remember looking at it the first time you pointed it out.

so winfred, you live in LA. when its wet out, do you just leave the e34 at home and take the fanboat to work? :D

m5maniac2001
05-11-2005, 11:25 PM
yeah, that list is kinda off....it doesn't even mention the e34 M5 in ronin

Yes it does. It is at the end.
E34 M5 Black Ronin

I have never seen ronin, is it worth the download?

ryan roopnarine
05-11-2005, 11:39 PM
Yes it does. It is at the end.
E34 M5 Black Ronin

I have never seen ronin, is it worth the download?

the plot is very tenuous at points. its all action. i dare call it the best car chase movie ever. despite the fact that there isn't that much of a plot, i feel that its done in a realistic and intelligent way....the action makes up for it. this wouldn't be the case in one of mr. bruckheimer's movies. i love it. if you want to see an e34 in a prominent role, d/l it. if you want to see cars chase after each other with all of the kickass engine music (audi s8, mercedes 6.9 sel, bmw m5, plus a bunch of citroens and such) in a believable way (no matrix 2 or 3 nonsense), dl it. i never thought my dl of it did the movie justice so when i saw the dvd for sale in the video store for $9.99, i scooped it up. it stands up well to my standards for repeat viewings. your mileage may vary however.

digitaldragon03
05-12-2005, 12:25 AM
Was it just me or did they use two e34's in Lost? Im certain that i saw both wide and narrow grill e34's. Both were debadged.

m5maniac2001
05-12-2005, 12:42 AM
the plot is very tenuous at points. its all action. i dare call it the best car chase movie ever. despite the fact that there isn't that much of a plot, i feel that its done in a realistic and intelligent way....the action makes up for it. this wouldn't be the case in one of mr. bruckheimer's movies. i love it. if you want to see an e34 in a prominent role, d/l it. if you want to see cars chase after each other with all of the kickass engine music (audi s8, mercedes 6.9 sel, bmw m5, plus a bunch of citroens and such) in a believable way (no matrix 2 or 3 nonsense), dl it. i never thought my dl of it did the movie justice so when i saw the dvd for sale in the video store for $9.99, i scooped it up. it stands up well to my standards for repeat viewings. your mileage may vary however.

Thanks for the info. Sounds very interesting.
The d/l is on the way.

Robin-535im
05-12-2005, 12:45 AM
Ha! Never noticed that but I'll have to keep an eye out now that you mention it.

I saw a maroon narrow grille get blowed up by US forces in Iraq just a few nights ago. My poor wife - I call her in all excited, "Honey - look at this!!!" she runs in to see a car blow up, and just looks at me like, "oh, another e34 sighting. Get a life."

- Robin

BigKriss
05-12-2005, 04:50 AM
ok i'll say it first...

Ronin

Bah, what about gone in 60 seconds - the original. Nobody beats that for a car chase :)

JR'Z 525
05-12-2005, 08:47 AM
Was it just me or did they use two e34's in Lost? Im certain that i saw both wide and narrow grill e34's. Both were debadged.

I'm a LOST fanatic! Me and my 5 yr old daughter watch it religiously! It's the only network TV show I really watch.
When I saw the first shot of the young doctors car I knew it was an e34 even though it was a night scene! I only saw the narrow grill car, but then again I'm partial to the narrow grill:)The front lower valance and spoiler was painted to match the color of the car. It also had the later style mirrors which I thought went with the wide grill cars. Musta been a 525..as it had the bottlecap wheels. I wonder if it was a hodge podge of various years put together just to wreck it. Speaking of wrecking the e34 looked like it came out pretty good after ramming the first police car...
John R :D

everest
05-12-2005, 09:07 AM
It did seem like two different e34's. I noticed the wide grill at first, then when they showed the grill again, I looked again to make sure that it was the wide grill, but it was narrow. Maybe they used a different one for the action scene where it gets smashed up, and then used the nicer version for the non-action scenes.

Theories on what's in the hatch?

BobbyB
05-12-2005, 09:29 AM
Bah, what about gone in 60 seconds - the original. Nobody beats that for a car chase :)

Love that movie,
but no one in here can deny....

The Transporter!

that 7 is so sexy and the driving is ridiculous.

BigKriss
05-12-2005, 10:15 AM
Love that movie,

The Transporter!

that 7 is so sexy and the driving is ridiculous.

i'll have to look it up

Mobius
05-12-2005, 03:41 PM
Love that movie,

The Transporter!

that 7 is so sexy and the driving is ridiculous.True. But do yourself a favor and turn the movie off after the opening car chase scene. It's AWFUL.

Ronin is fantastic - even aside from the chases. The Transporter only has the one chase, and that's it.

scott540
05-12-2005, 04:27 PM
I saw two grills too. How come the airbag didn't go off when they crashed? Also, how did he keep the headlights on without the car running?

BobHarris
05-12-2005, 05:59 PM
True. But do yourself a favor and turn the movie off after the opening car chase scene. It's AWFUL.

Ronin is fantastic - even aside from the chases. The Transporter only has the one chase, and that's it.

I thought it was realy funny. (what do you mean, it's not supposed to be a comedy)? :D

Was't there an e34 chase in the last boy scout?

digitaldragon03
05-12-2005, 11:16 PM
Another Lost loophole, when the guy first goes to his e34, he unlocks the car with his key and thus disengages the alarm. The ambers light up showing that the car has been unlocked. How did the girl get into the car with the alarm set?

JR'Z 525
05-13-2005, 04:33 AM
Another Lost loophole, when the guy first goes to his e34, he unlocks the car with his key and thus disengages the alarm. The ambers light up showing that the car has been unlocked. How did the girl get into the car with the alarm set?

Maybe she used a slim jim to get in? Still don't know how she would get around the alarm though.
John R

Bimmerman
05-13-2005, 07:11 AM
The last boy scout used a white 7 series from memory...

BobHarris
05-13-2005, 11:59 AM
Well it was a long time ago that I saw it last.

All the best

Bob