PDA

View Full Version : can any mechanical types explain the PCV system?

infinity5
05-11-2005, 04:48 PM
In my m60, how does the pvc plate work mechanically? shouldn't there be a fresh-air inlet into the crankcase somewhere too?

I understand the concept, i think. you're trying to relieve crankcase gases produced during combustion and the PVC plate regulates how they flow into the intake, correct?

winfred
05-11-2005, 07:13 PM
it's a closed system in that the intake is inside of the intake plenum and is regulated by the diaphram so that the motor doesn't suck lotsa oil during high vacuum (but it does anyway due to the shitty design) when the diaphram fails it can ether suck oil directly from the crank case or suck outside air, or both

In my m60, how does the pvc plate work mechanically? shouldn't there be a fresh-air inlet into the crankcase somewhere too?

I understand the concept, i think. you're trying to relieve crankcase gases produced during combustion and the PVC plate regulates how they flow into the intake, correct?

infinity5
05-11-2005, 08:28 PM
hmmm! thanks.

So air both enters and exits that same metal pipe that leads from the PVC plate to the crankcase under the intake? i was thinking of cutting that pipe up and trying jon k's filter system and see if it grabs anything.

oh, and do you or bill or anyone know what that huge metal insert inside the intake manifold is? i assume its some kind of muffler maybe. except its sealed off.

winfred
05-11-2005, 08:39 PM
of the 8 or 10 m60s i've done i can't remember any huge metal insert inside of the intake

winfred
05-11-2005, 08:41 PM
some motors have a plastic tube running front to back inside of the intake to the center of the pcv plate