PDA

View Full Version : Catalytic converter gone after one year!

Black 535i
05-11-2005, 05:40 AM
I had my converter replaced last year with an aftermarket one at a cost of over $600.00 and the last two weeks or so I have had a rattling under the car. Got under it last night and after some searching hit the cats with a rubber mallet and everything inside sounds loose and fallen apart. What would cause a cat to go after one year? To top things off I am one week out of warranty as well. Any ideas please!

Tiger
05-11-2005, 07:17 AM
Something wrong with engine... fix that first... usually too much fuel... possibly leaky fuel injector.

Don't worry about cat... your replacement Magnaflow cat will set you back less than $100... add another $80 for install or do it yourself.

shapetoshoot
05-11-2005, 08:56 AM
I replaced both(v8) cats at 11years and 175,00 on the first set due to an emmision fail. One side began to rattle 6 months later. The manufacturers claimed there must be something wrong with the engine, running rich etc. I disputed this which cost £50 for a bmw dealer report saying the engine was fine but worth because after being shown the report and threatened with legal action the company supplied and paid for a new set fitting.

I noticed that in GB most companies now seem to be offering a better quality option, steel innards or something.

Tiger
05-11-2005, 01:10 PM
By the way... cat should come with 5yr/50K warranty... as mandated by federal law... so your cat should be covered. 2yr for internal ceramic.

Black 535i
05-11-2005, 01:26 PM
Just found out that the cat (DEC brand) will be covered by warranty.It was a bad batch that they were trying to catch up with and this is how I found out from my mechanic. He will also cut me a deal on the install. Thanks for the help.

By the way... cat should come with 5yr/50K warranty... as mandated by federal law... so your cat should be covered. 2yr for internal ceramic.

Tiger
05-11-2005, 01:45 PM
Anytime! I'd be pissed to lose $600 in one year...

Derek A.
05-11-2005, 06:53 PM
Most of the aftermarket Cats tend to last for less then the OEM BMW pieces. Because the shop has to eat the labor on a failed Cat, policy is now that only OEM BMW stuff is installed. Which on an e38 or e39 v8 car is about a grand a side + parts + labor. They are not cheap.