PDA

View Full Version : oil pressure on 3.5 liter

dougn
05-10-2005, 01:10 PM
well my oil pressure warning has been comming on at start-up sometimes for a long time now. i know there's a common problem associated with the check valve in the oil filter can. the oil pressure lite has always gone off within few blocks. today, however it didn't go off so i turned around and went home and parked it. so i'm a bit baffled....there's plenty of oil in there and the engine sounds ok. i would think if there was low pressure you would hear some rattling or something. i can't imagine the pump failing. if it was the check valve in the filter housing, the oil pressure should return pretty soon after start-up. any ideas? ...maybe the sensor/sender?

Elekta
05-10-2005, 02:23 PM
good thing the switch is only $12bucks

epj3
05-10-2005, 02:37 PM
I get a low oil pressure warning when parked facing up a steep driveway or hill

dougn
05-10-2005, 06:30 PM
well i think it indeed does not have oil pressure. it was fine when i drove it yesterday. i opened the filter and there was no oil in the housing.

if the oil drains from the housing does the pump need to be primed?

Derek A.
05-10-2005, 07:10 PM
You need to hook a mechanical gauge up to the motor and see what it does. That sensor comes on when pressure drops below 7 psi. If oil drains from the canister it will take a few more seconds to prime - light should go off in a few seconds.

Bellicose Right Winger
05-10-2005, 07:30 PM
This may not indicate an oil pump problem. When you remove the bolt holding the cover on the oil filter housing, the oil is suppose to drain from the housing. If you remove bolt and cover quickly, you may see some oil before it drains completely.

Paul Shovestul

.......... i opened the filter and there was no oil in the housing.

dougn
05-11-2005, 10:00 AM
i backed the car up my driveway (slightly nose down attitude) and removed the oil filter cover. maybe there was oil in there and it drained too quickly for me to see.

anyway i put the cover back on but with the bolt just hand tight. i didn't know what the hell i was doing...anyway i started the engine and oil immediately came squirting out the filter housing and the oil pressure lite went out

i don't know if it's something i did by removing the filter housing bolt/o-ring or just the fact the car was slightly nose down that allowed the pump to pick up oil. i'm baffled

632 Regal
05-11-2005, 10:04 AM
like Derek said, check the pressure with a gage and see whats actually happening. You could try a new sending unit but I would want to know whats going on first.

Paul in NZ
05-11-2005, 02:12 PM
how is the oil level....a few blocks?!!!sheesh i panic if the light doesnt go out instantly!

dougn
05-11-2005, 04:08 PM
it's full

it's weird behavoir....seems like the pump needs to be primed