PDA

View Full Version : exhaust needs work, best route?

bahnstormer
02-23-2004, 12:05 PM
stock 91 535i exhaust is on there now, and
its a little rusty, has some holes, and makes
a nice burbly sound with all those holes...
however i'm worried about passing emissions test.

bmwe34.net says that the OEM one flows well
enough, but i'd like a little sound with my cake too.

does anyone have the dinan exhaust? $900
does anyone have the supersprint exhaust? $900
does anyone have other kinds of exhausts?

zmuff
02-23-2004, 01:24 PM
Looking at new exhausts for my 535i also. I have a friend with a Euro m635i that has a B&B TriFlo exhaust. It sounds deep and rumbly at idle plus at highway speeds it's pretty quiet and doesn't seem to resonate . It has a kind of throaty (and a little raspy) sound under hard acceleration that I'm not sure if I care for. Other than that, I really like the B&B although I have heard others say that it's much too loud for their tastes. My $0.02.

mholbrook
02-23-2004, 01:31 PM
BMP has some Hartge exhausts that will work for $300. It is the one for the 525 M50 engine. Same part number as for the 535 but you will have to have a shop install because there is going to be a little bending and welding. Cheap way to go and get the "burble" you want.

Mike Holbrook

bahnstormer
02-23-2004, 01:56 PM
hm interesting. i also found some remus exhausts for sale
not sure on thier price though

Karl
02-23-2004, 06:06 PM
Our new ('91) car hasn't needed exhaust work yet, but on my other cars I have used local -- not chain -- exhaust shop with great success. They seem to always have some race car or custom parked by the shop. They also have some good recommendations (sound/performance) as well as being willing to work with me on my wild ideas. The work is not expensive. And they don't snicker when I come back in a week for the resonator I turned down on the first install. ;-)

bahnstormer
02-23-2004, 11:01 PM
so they charge per hour, and for material? what is thier labor rate?

Kennan
02-23-2004, 11:17 PM
You can get a supersprint exhaust for around $450-500 if it's a direct bolt on, a shop will probably charge $50-100. Try www.bmpdesigns.com

Where did you find the remus on sale?

bahnstormer
02-24-2004, 04:02 AM
korman sells the remus,
the supersprint is like 900 for both parts, one part is

Kennan
02-24-2004, 07:28 PM
korman sells the remus,
the supersprint is like 900 for both parts, one part is

When you say both parts, are you talking about the part that replaces the resonator? Not sure how performance would differ, but I pretty sure the supersprint can be installed with the stock resonator in place. Doing so would probably decrease the volume of sound that would normally come from the exhaust.

In terms of loudness, dinan is supposed to be the loudest with supersprint on the lower end of the spectrum. I believe remus is more inline with supersprint, but somewhere in the middle.

Here's a video of a supersprint on an e39 540
http://www.my02.com/video/540ssxhaust.wmv