PDA

View Full Version : Bleeding water system E34 525i M50

Busa1400
05-10-2005, 07:20 AM
HELP HELP HELP

I have a BMW E34 M50, I have just had a new head put on it

The problem is that whilst it is being driven it is operating at the correct temperature save for when it is standing at a junction when it gets hot. If it is left standing it gets critically hot. I have replaced the thermo coupling and the water pump and it seems to be that the hoses are getting pressured when it is running, I think it needs bleeding. As the head has been replaced I understand this cane be a problem.

I have the expansion tank joined to the rad,

how do I bleed it please. :(

Busa1400
05-10-2005, 07:25 AM
Just to add to this, I have read the BMW net FAQ's just wondered we I take the bleed screw out of the top of the rad, should engine be hot, cold, warm should I have the interior fan on.

Cheers

winfred
05-10-2005, 07:54 AM
if you can drive it and it holds temp the block and head are full, getting hot at a stand still can be bad thermostat, bad fan clutch, collapsed radiator (not letting the fan clutch get warm by having a cold spot in the center) those are the usual suspects

632 Regal
05-10-2005, 08:09 AM
bleed it cold, make sure the heat is on hot too in order to get the air out of there too.

Busa1400
05-10-2005, 08:29 AM
Thanks, I was worried that maybe the head was cracked or something, but it seems that it is OK.

So I take it I open rad cap, release bleed screw, turn heating up to full and then run the engine. Is this right.

thanks for all your help

uscharalph
05-10-2005, 09:12 AM
I'm having similar problems with my m20. Thermostat is new. I'm replacing the fan clutch Wednesday, Thursday or Friday.