PDA

View Full Version : headlight problem

SharkmanBMW
05-09-2005, 04:24 PM
The low beam light now is like on a swing, there is no support at the bottom , there are support screws at 10 and 2 O'clock or so but it just swings freely in between! (From the pic I will assume there should be other screws around the light holding it but ???????)
It now points much lower than it should at rest and can be pointed upward as well, it just swings in the middle.. It is as though it needs a screw at the bottom, but has none!

I hope someone that has handled headlights before will what I am trying to say...!
I would appreciate some input from you guys...
Chris

JAlfredPrufrock
05-09-2005, 04:28 PM
That's the driver's side assembly, right?

It is happening on both sides?

SharkmanBMW
05-09-2005, 04:35 PM
drivers side only... low beam only. It was ok but got whacked while I was washing it and now the lower support seems gone, but in the pic I don't see a lower support!!!
what am I missing!

JAlfredPrufrock
05-09-2005, 04:46 PM
I would start with part #2.

Sorry I'm trying to be more helpful, I just had my front grill off a couple weekends ago; had my passenger side high beam out for the longest time (direct route for crappy K&N).

Come to think of it I may have the same problem on my passenger side, the low beam looks like it's pointed a little lower as compared to the driver's side.

SharkmanBMW
05-09-2005, 04:48 PM
the other problem is there is NO room to get in there on a V8 and play around!

JAlfredPrufrock
05-09-2005, 04:51 PM
Are you trying to play around with it from the outside or from inside the engine compartment?

SharkmanBMW
05-09-2005, 04:53 PM
both! from inside, there is little room to see or move

willobmw
05-09-2005, 05:09 PM
There is a third one at the 4 O' Clock position. Look in Bentleys if you have one. You need that for upward adjustment. If you remove the rear shroud you should be able to see the wing(maybe broke)on the back. The cap may have broken in front also.
Good Luck,
Willo

willobmw
05-09-2005, 05:10 PM
May have to remove the front grill for best access.
Wiilo

JAlfredPrufrock
05-09-2005, 06:56 PM
May have to remove the front grill for best access.
Wiilo

Yeah front grill is crucial for working on the lights.

SharkmanBMW
05-10-2005, 06:49 PM
so I need to take off the grill and the black plastic part that goes around the lights and then there are screws I can adjust?? my screw setup at 4 o'clock must be broken for it to swing , when I brake the light points upward and the rest of the time it is pointing down, very sad....

I could use some info on removal of the grill and black part surrounding the lights... how do these come apart properly? I did not buy a bentley because I was told for the V8 it was not very helpful... but at the moment I wish I had!

Thanks for your input!

JAlfredPrufrock
05-10-2005, 09:03 PM
Bentley is defintely helpful.

I would help you out but I don't have a scanner or camera.

The Bentley is worth every penny I paid for it.

infinity5
05-10-2005, 09:30 PM
Get the bently anyway. I have an m60 as well and althought it does not have one single photograph of the m60 in its instuctions (its all drawings) its still helpful. its covers the v-8 equally as well as the other engines, just shittier/fewer pictures. Another good point is that a huge majority or things are unrealted to the specific engine, so its not an issue.

for the front grill:

open the hood. on either side of the top of the headlights, at the corner where they meet the fender is a little curved hole. you stick something longggg and straight down there and it depresses a little catch at the bottom of the grill (the lower strip that goes under the headlights to the fenders) and its released from the fender. its a bitch of a job to get it off, espeically if the little plastic catch is broken. i bent my fender slightly and broke the plastic clips geting mine off. but oh man, once its off, you have access to alllll this stuff you've never seen before.

PatrickPGH
05-11-2005, 01:08 PM
Here are some handy pictures.

http://home.comcast.net/%7Ewinstonfong/repairpagessite2/frontgrillremoval.htm

I'm having the same problem on my 530. So I know what you're going through. It took me 45 minutes to get the damn thing off the first time.

Patrick

so I need to take off the grill and the black plastic part that goes around the lights and then there are screws I can adjust?? my screw setup at 4 o'clock must be broken for it to swing , when I brake the light points upward and the rest of the time it is pointing down, very sad....

I could use some info on removal of the grill and black part surrounding the lights... how do these come apart properly? I did not buy a bentley because I was told for the V8 it was not very helpful... but at the moment I wish I had!

Thanks for your input!

632 Regal
05-11-2005, 01:47 PM
god these things are ugly with all that stuff off! Very nice article, hope you dont mind I saved it for future refrence.

Paul in NZ
05-11-2005, 02:26 PM
i like the submrine propellor fan!

Arxon
05-11-2005, 02:57 PM
You remind me the time I changed my passenger's side lights...I got crazy, first time I did it and I knew nothing about how to do anything! You need a lot of patience and a flexible long screwdriver(believe me it will help you). I worked layng down under the car. Even and the price of the pair of the lights was really cheap, I still don't replace the lights on the driver's size...

SharkmanBMW
05-11-2005, 04:39 PM
thanks guys, and thanks PatrickPGH for the link with pics.... saved my ass!!
I will build my patience (something I have none of since my accident) save up some energy and try it soon.
How long does this screw driver need to be?? and do I need to beware ??? are these delicate plastic or are they relatively tough?
I will be gentle, but can force if I know I need to!!!

Thanks
Chris

Paul in NZ
05-11-2005, 05:08 PM
the scew diver has to be long enough to reach the top of the bumper from that hole in the top of the fender.....i am building up too,i need to pull all that out to clean my low beams and repair my headlight wash system and intensive clean . i beleive the plastic clips can be broken

SharkmanBMW
05-11-2005, 05:37 PM
my cars previous owner had the headlight wash disconnected... I still have the squirters but nothing comes out... no mess!
He told me it used way too much fluid... I don't know why else he would have plugged them !?!

Jeanfb
05-13-2005, 10:06 AM
my cars previous owner had the headlight wash disconnected... I still have the squirters but nothing comes out... no mess!
He told me it used way too much fluid... I don't know why else he would have plugged them !?!

I found with daytime running lights the headlight washers come on everytime you clean the windshield - without daytime running lights the light washers only wash when the lihgts are on. hence the 2 gallon reservoire...I disconnected mine as well.